2 Everybody Loves a Clown: Part 1

July 28th – July 31st, 2006

It had been about a week since we gave Dad his hunter's funeral. We had been staying with Bobby since then. Dean was non-stop working on the Impala and hadn't really said anything about what happened to Dad. I typically spent my days silently hanging out with Dean while watching him work on the car. It was the best way to keep my mind off of Dad, and plus, I was learning a few things.

Dean was under the Impala, only his legs sticking out. He had actually improved the car significantly. It was starting to look like itself again rather than a crushed mess.

"How's the car coming along?" Sam asked as he walked up to Dean.

"Slow," Dean said.

"Yeah? Need any help?" Sam asked.

"You under a hood?" I asked.

Sam gave me a look and then turned back to Dean.

"Yeah, I'll pass," Dean said.

"Need anything else, then?" Sam asked awkwardly.

Dean pushed himself out from under the car. "Stop it, Sam."

"Stop what?" Sam asked.

Dean stood up and walked over to the table I was sitting on. "Stop asking if I need anything. Stop asking if I'm okay." He started picking through the tools on the table. "I'm okay. Really. I promise."

Sam sighed. "All right, Dean, it's just... we've been at Bobby's for over a week now, and you haven't brought up Dad once."

Dean turned to face Sam. "Ya know what? You're right. Come here. I'm gonna lay my head gently on your shoulder. Maybe we can cry, hug, and maybe even slow dance."

Sam shook his head. "Don't patronize me, Dean. Dad is dead. The Colt is gone, and it seems pretty damn likely that the demon is behind all of this, and you're acting like nothing happened."

"What do you want me to say?" Dean raised his voice.

"Say something, all right? Hell, say anything!" Sam yelled. "Aren't you angry? Don't you want revenge? But all you do is sit out here all day long, buried underneath this damn car."

"Revenge, huh?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

Dean nodded. "Sounds good. You got any leads on where the demon is? Making heads or tails of any of Dad's research? Because I sure ain't. But ya know, if we do finally find it... oh. No, wait, like you said. The Colt's gone. But I'm sure you've figured out another way to kill it." He shook his head. "We've got nothing, Sam. Nothing, okay? So, the only thing I can do is... I can work on the car." He crouched down by the car and started working on it again.

"Well, we've got something, all right?" Sam pulled a cellphone out of his pocket. "It's what I came by here to tell you. This is one of Dad's old phones. Took me a while, but I cracked his voicemail code. Listen to this." He handed the phone to Dean, who stood up and took it reluctantly.

Dean put the phone up to his ear and listened for a moment. Once he was done, he looked up at Sam and handed the phone back.

"That message is four months old," Sam explained.

"Dad saved that chick's message for four months?" Dean asked.

Sam nodded. "Yeah."

"Well, who's Ellen? Any mention of her in Dad's journal?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head. "No. But I ran a trace on her phone number, and I got an address."

"Ask Bobby if we can use one of his cars," Dean said.