9 Croatoan: Part 2

After Dr. Lee and Dean placed Mr. Tanner in another room, they joined me, Sam, Mrs. Tanner, and the other woman, Pam.

Mrs. Tanner sat on a stool with her arm exposed so Dr. Lee could take a look at it.

"Wait, you said Jake helped him? Your son Jake?" Dr. Lee asked.

Mrs. Tanner nodded. "They beat me. Tied me up."

Pam gasped. "I don't believe it."

Dr. Lee shot Pam a look. "Pam." She then turned back to Mrs. Tanner. "Beverly... do you have any idea why they would act this way? Any history of chemical dependency?"

Mrs. Tanner shook her head. "No, of course not. I don't know why. One minute they were my husband and my son. And the next, they had the devil in them."

"We gotta talk," Dean whispered.

Sam and I followed him out into the hallway.

"Those guys were whacked out of their gourds," Dean said.

"What do you think? Multiple demons, mass possession?" Sam asked.

"If it is a possession, there could be more. I mean, god knows how many, it could be like a friggin' Shriner convention," Dean said.

"Great." Sam scoffed.

"Of course, that's one way to wipe out a town. You take it from the inside," Dean said.

"But Mr. Tanner's dead. Wouldn't we have seen black demon smoke or something... if he was possessed?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't know, man. We didn't see any of the other usual signs either," Sam agreed.

"Well, whatever. Something turned him into a monster. And ya know if you woulda taken out the other one, there'd be one less to worry about," Dean said.

"I'm sorry, all right? I hesitated, Dean, it was a kid!" Sam shouted.

"No, it was an 'it.' Not the best time for a bleeding heart, Sam," Dean scolded.

Dr. Lee stormed out of the room.

"How's Mrs. Tanner?" Sam asked.

"Terrible!" she shouted. "What the hell happened out there?"

Dean shook his head. "We don't know."

"Yeah? Well, you just killed my next-door neighbor," Dr. Lee said.

"We didn't have a choice," Dean said.

"Maybe so, but we need the county Sheriff." She looked down sadly. "I need the coroner..."

Sam shook his head. "Phones are down."

Dr. Lee nodded. "I know, I tried. Tell me you have a radio in your car."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, we do. But it crapped out just like everything else."

The doctor shook her head. "I don't understand what is happening."

"How far is it to the next town?" Dean asked.

"It's about forty miles down to Sidewinder," she said.

"All right, I'm gonna go down there, see if I can find some help..." Dean slapped Sam on the back. "My brother'll stick around. Keep you guys safe."

"Safe from what?" she asked.

"We'll get back to you on that," Dean said and turned to me. "You're with me."

"Really, Dean? You sure?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, I'd rather keep her on the move while these things are running around. Plus, you can stay sharp without worrying about her." Dean nodded at Sam and then grabbed my hand, leading me out of the building to the Impala.