18 Hollywood Babylon: Part 3

After finishing at the nail salon, my mom drove us home and took me to her room. She sat me down in front of a giant vanity and started playing with my hair.

"We have to tame this mess," she said as she brushed through my hair.

She sprayed something in it and continued brushing. Eventually, I was left with curly hair but no frizz.

She spun me around. "You have beautiful eyes and eyelashes, but let's make them nicer. Have you ever used mascara?"

I shook my head. "Nope, never."

"Okay." She pulled out a weird device from one of the drawers in the vanity. "Look up, okay?"

I did what she said, and then she started to put the device near my eye, so I flinched.

My mom laughed. "This is an eyelash curler. This will only work if you trust me."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Ready?" she asked.

I nodded and then looked up and stayed still. She curled my eyelashes and then put mascara on them.

When she was done, she reached over and picked up a tube of lipstick. As she unsheathed it, I spotted how dark the red lipstick was, and I wasn't excited.

She leaned forward and put the lipstick on her lips, and then she looked down at me. "I was going to put this on you, but it's too dark for your complexion. Plus, you have nice rose-colored lips already." She smiled at me. "Okay, go put your dress on."

I ran into the bathroom and threw my dress on. When I was done, I walked back into my mom's bedroom.

She looked up at me after I entered. "Aw, see. You look beautiful. So much better than those boy clothes."

I smiled, even though I felt like that was a little bit rude.

After my mom finished getting ready, we left for the restaurant.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Once we arrived at Fig & Olive. We were seated right away because my mom had made reservations.

After we were seated, I looked over the menu nervously... it was all French. I barely recognized anything on the menu. What I did recognize, I didn't want anything to do with... like octopus, for example.

Finally, I spotted a steak dish and decided that I was just going to get that.

"Welcome to Fig & Olive," our waiter said as he arrived at the table. "Are you ready to order?"

My mom cleared her throat. "Yes, we will both get the same."

My eyes widen slightly, now concerned about what I was going to end up eating.

"First course, we will have the Truffle Mushroom Croquette. Second course, the Chicken Paillard. And for the third course, we will have the Chocolate Pot de Crème. Oh, and two waters please," she said and then looked at me. "How does that sound?"

"Good." I smiled, still unsure about what was just ordered.

"Thank you, Madame. I will put that in for you right away," our waiter said and then walked away.

About fifteen minutes later, the waiter walked back out with our food. After he placed our food in front of us, he turned to walk away.

"Um, excuse me..." my mom said.

Our waiter turned back to us. "Yes, Madame?"

My mom picked up her fork. "Could you bring us new silverware? These are all smudged. See?" She held the fork up to him.