21 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part 2

As we drove, I spotted my bloody jacket lying on the ground where we had found Sam. "Wait!"

Bobby gasped and suddenly stopped. "What?"

I hopped out of the truck and ran over to my jacket. I stared at it for a moment before picking it up. I needed something to say goodbye to Sam. I walked back over to the truck and climbed in. Bobby looked at me sadly and then started driving again.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Bobby had found a way in and out of the abandoned town, so on our way out, we had stopped at the Impala to grab my bag, and then we continued on our way to his house.

Once we were there, we made our way into the house, and I walked back into his guest bedroom and closed the door behind me.

Knock! Knock!

"Maddi, I'm just gonna be out here if you need me." Bobby sighed.

I pulled my backpack out of my duffel bag and put my jacket and Harry Potter movies and books in it.

I dumped my duffel bag over and packed a few clothes and a couple of random snacks into my backpack. I picked up the random matches that had fallen out of my bag onto the bed and put them into my pocket.

"What are you doing?" a familiar voice asked me.

I looked up to see Sully standing on the opposite side of the bed.

"Why are you back?" I asked.

"I know what happened to Sam," Sully said sadly.

"Sully, I know what you're trying to do, but I really don't need this right now," I said and then walked over to the window.

I opened it and pulled the screen out. I climbed out of the window and started off into the woods.

"Maddi, you should really go back," Sully said.

"I need to do this," I said.

"What are you doing?" Sully asked.

I didn't answer and kept walking as he trailed behind me. We had walked for a while before he spoke again.

"What are you doing?" Sully asked.

"I need to say goodbye," I said.

Sully sighed. "Maddi, I—"

"Please, just stop talking," I snapped.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Eventually, I came to a small opening. I walked into the center, took my backpack off, and set it on the ground. I searched around for dry leaves and twigs. Once I gathered some, I returned to the center of the opening.

I set up the twigs and dry leaves and then placed my books and movies on top. I pulled out my jacket and looked at the bloodstains with tears in my eyes, then I set it on top of everything. I pulled the matches out of my pocket and lit one, watching the flame flicker.

Sully cleared his throat. "I know you told me to stay quiet, but starting a fire in the middle of the woods is dangerous."

"I don't care," I said and then placed the match at the bottom of my pile.

I watched as the flame grew, and once the books caught fire, the rest was completely engulfed shortly after. I sat there for a while and cried, watching as everything I had left of Sam burned.

Once everything had burned down to a pile of ash, I stood up, grabbed my bag, and started walking.

"Aren't you gonna go back to Bobby's?" Sully asked.