|22| Madison

Maddy waited until the footsteps of tooth-necklace lady faded away

Maddy waited until the footsteps of tooth-necklace lady faded away. Once she was sure that no one was there nearby she took out all the things that she had gotten from the office. She didn't have time to check what she had in her pocket before, so she decided to go through those before she opened the notebook.

She emptied her right pocket first. In there was some business card of some shipping company called dekart mark. What kind of a name was that and how was it even related to shipping? She had heard of a company called dekart but never of dekart mark. The other thing that she had in the right pocket was the pale blue colored scissors that she had stuffed. The scissors did not seem to be used too much as the blade seemed to be rusted and the handles took a lot of effort to open.

Next, she emptied the left pocket. There were a number of brightly colored rubber bands and paper clips. They wouldn't be of much use but beggars can't be choosers. She put them aside. The last thing left in her pocket was the pen. Maddy tried the pen on her hand to make sure that it worked. She should have checked it before but it completely slipped her mind. Considering the fact that the scissor had been rusted, Maddy assumed that the pen too had been old. Thankfully, the pen still worked although the ink was a little faint.

Next, she took out the book from under her shirt. It was a diary, Maddy realized with excitement. It was a few years old and the pages were numbered from 1 January 2001. It was probably the diary of the boss, whoever that was. This could be the very thing that she needed to know who the boss was, his life story, and how exactly to defeat. Maddy quickly flipped open the book to the first diary entry. Her excitement faded away as she realized that although it was made to be used as a diary, the user had used it as some sort of calculation book. Thousands of numbers filled up the first few pages.

Maddy slammed the book on the floor with frustration. They could have gotten an upper hand if they knew who this 'boss' guy was. An unknown enemy was much more terrifying than a known villain. They didn't know anything about this 'boss'. Even if it hadn't been the boss' diary, it could have been anyone from the opposite side's diary. Any information was fine but they had to use it as a calculation book.

Maddy realized how foolish her action had been. If anyone heard the distinct sound of the book slamming, they will surely come and check on her. Maddy quickly hid all the items under the bed. When no one came for the next two minutes, Maddy decided that it was safe to bring out the book once again.

For the next hour, Maddy continued writing the story that she had been writing on Wattpad. It was a relief to actually have something to do as compared to just staring at the blank wall for hours together. Once she had written four whole pages and her fingers were throbbing with pain, Maddy put the book down and decided to practice some of the techniques and exercises that she had been taught for increasing her speed. As physical exercise didn't need any materials, she had been practicing it for the past week. Her speed had increased decently. A month more and she should be as fast as the werewolves which would be a huge advantage.

She was in practicing her kicks when an idea hit her. She scrambled to get the book which she had hidden once again under the bed. In the Maze Runner Series, when Thomas couldn't figure out the maze, they had drawn a map. Considering the fact that this building too, seemed like a maze, a map would definitely be helpful.

Maddy took out the book and flipped the pages until she reached one where both the sides were empty. She started drawing the aerial view of her floor and the ground floor on the two pages. She herself made up names for the hallways so she could at least differentiate the hallways.

By the time she had finished drawing the map, it was nearly dinner time. She wasn't an artist so the drawing wasn't perfect. She had to redraw the map a couple of times when she made a mistake as she was drawing with a pen. There were still a few places of the house where she hadn't ventured yet so she decided to try escaping tomorrow. Not with the intent of trying to get out of the house but with the intent to explore the house so that she could complete the map.

A strategic plan for escaping would definitely be better than what Maddy had been trying for the past week. Besides, if she could manage to get some information about the boss it would help them massively. At least that's what characters did in books when they got captured, right? Escape after getting some important information that is crucial for the plot.

The more Maddy thought about it, the more ideas she came up with. By the time tooth-necklace lady had come with her dinner, Maddy had some sort of a plan to escape. She would have only one shot to execute the plan and if she failed, then tooth-necklace lady would take away all the items that she had gotten.

When tooth-necklace lady same with her dinner, Maddy knocked her out once again. She ran all the way downstairs but instead of taking right towards the door, Maddy took a left. The western wing of the house was mostly unknown to Maddy which was why the western part of her map was mostly empty. Maddy decided that she would scout the place so she could fill her map up. Besides, she also wanted to check if there was a backdoor that they could use to escape.

Once she had memorized the twists and turns and given every hallway a name (And no, she definitely didn't name the hallways after fictional characters. Why would you even think that?) she made her way towards the door. She didn't bother to maintain her stealth. The moment she came within a foot from the door, one of the rogues grabbed hold off her.

Once again, she was dumped into the room but this time tooth-necklace lady payed her a surprise visit.

Make sure to vote, comment and share this story. -Aroha

 -Aroha