|42| Madison

Maddy scrambled towards the door, the matefinder long forgotten

Maddy scrambled towards the door, the matefinder long forgotten. Just as she twisted the knob of the door, a strange burning sensation started from her chest. Maddy let out a cry of surprise, gripping the knob tightly for support. The pain spread to the rest of her body. It felt as though someone was trying to tear her apart. Maddy let go of the knob, but the pain didn't fade. She clutched at her chest. What the hell was happening to her?

Maddy tentatively reached out for the knob once again, pushing the pain to the back of her mind. Even though her entire body felt as if it was burning, she wasn't dying, at least she didn't think so. Right now, Xander needed her help. Maddy opened the door and stumbled outside, just in time to see a reddish-brown tail disappear through the corridor. Xander was sitting slumped on the floor, his chin touching his chest. Maddy's hand flew to her mouth as tears started pouring out. Shit. Maybe he was just unconscious, Maddy tried to reason with herself. She ran towards him, sinking on her knees and frantically checked for a pulse. She waited hoping that there would be a pulse. Nothing. She tried hitting his chest, hoping that the shock would bring him back to life. Nothing.

She tilted Xander's face towards herself. Blood trickled down the side of his face, his face calm as though he was sleeping. Maddy furiously wiped the tears that were running down her cheek. How had things gone so wrong? It had been her job to make sure that nothing happened to Xander and look at what a fantastic job she had done. She couldn't even go and call someone as they were too far away. There was nothing to do other than accept it. Her body wracked with an onslaught of sobs and tears.

Maddy gently took her hand and entwined it with Xander's. She should have kissed him when she had the chance. She should have spent more time with him, cherished every single moment with him. How was this fair? How could life be so cruel? And how on earth would she tell Alexa and the rest of Xander's pack about this? It had been her responsibility and she had failed.

"YOU," she screamed at the matefinder as she barged into the room where the matefinder was, letting out all her frustration on her. "You knew about all of this. Why didn't you tell anything, huh? You could have prevented all of this."

Maddy probably looked crazy with her eyes puffed and hair askew, but she didn't care. The matefinder smiled softly but didn't say anything.

"There must be a way to bring him back. Anything. Tell me."

The matefinder shook her head. "Xander is dead. You need to accept it."

Just hearing that out loud sent a fresh new wave of pain. Maddy quietly went out of the room, took out her silver armor and sat down beside Xander. She tucked her knees under her chin, desperately wishing that she could go back in time. All her life she had been wanting to life her life in a story, now all she wanted to do was go back to her life before she found out about werewolves. Sure, she wouldn't have met Xander or Alexa or Jeremy, but at least she wouldn't have to lose him.