|2| Madison

Maddy hurried towards the street lights, walking so fast that she was nearly running, hoping that her stalker would leave if they were in a lighted area, while trying to open her phone to call someone

Maddy hurried towards the street lights, walking so fast that she was nearly running, hoping that her stalker would leave if they were in a lighted area, while trying to open her phone to call someone. Maddy called Leia but she wasn't picking up.

As she was walking, she could see the shadow of her stalker because of the light from the street lights. She was staring at the shadow to make sure that he wasn't getting too close to her, when suddenly the shadow changed shape. With a creak of bones, the shadow blurred and shrank in size, to that of a huge dog.

Unable to help herself, Maddy let out a small shriek. Who, or rather what the hell was following her? She turned her head slightly, trying to be inconspicuous to the side to find a huge wolf with midnight, black fur and fiery yellow eyes, crouching as if it was going to pounce on its prey. With a jolt, Maddy realized that she was the prey.

What the hell was going on? Her entire mind was buzzing with a thousand questions but Maddy concentrated on the problem at hand. She could ask all the questions once she was out of danger. Maddy took a deep breath in and sent a quick prayer of thanks to Tristan. Tristan had insisted that Maddy should learn Karate, something about girls being able to protect themselves.

However, only Karate wouldn't save her from this werewolf, or whatever the creature was. She had learnt how to fight against a human, but against a wolf? Not so much. But then again, who would have thought she would have to fight against a wolf? Maddy started thinking about what a character from a book would do if she were in her position. Maddy was an avid reader and loved reading fantasy books. This situation seemed to be straight out of a story book, which meant that she would have to think like a book character to survive.

First, she had to decide whether she wanted to fight or flight. She couldn't outrun the wolf, which meant that she would have to fight. Quickly taking out both her heels, Maddy turned completely, facing the wolf, going into the position that she used during karate with her feet angled slightly towards the side and her knees in the same direction to provide more stability, clutching the heels tightly.

As the wolf jumped on her, she stabbed the wolf in the eyes using her heels. The heels weren't too sharp as Maddy was too clumsy to walk in stilettos, but it was sharp enough to hurt him or rather, hurt it. The wolf fell on top of her, its nails grazing her skin. The wolf whimpered slightly, clearly not expecting her to fight back, and then turned towards her.

The wolf lunged at her one more time, using his nose to figure out where Maddy was. Maddy dropped her heels, and side stepped at the last moment, trying to avoid the muzzle. She used her hands to hold tightly around the wolf's neck as strongly as she could. She recalled that a character from a fantasy book had done exactly the same thing to take out a werewolf. Praying to all the gods that it would work, Maddy held on to its neck. It was an advantageous position as the wolf couldn't reach Maddy with its muzzle.

Maddy held on, tightly for some time until the wolf went limp. She immediately dropped the wolf and gave a small whoop of victory. Her hands were throbbing because of carrying the weight of the wolf. Maddy doubted that she killed the wolf, she wasn't strong enough. It was probably just unconscious or something but however small the victory was, it was still a victory. Not wanting to any risks, she scrambled away from the wolf and then ran like her life depended on it, which it did.

The moment she saw her house, her shoulders sagged with relief. She would be safe soon. Suddenly, a chorus of howls broke through the silent night, giving Maddy goosebumps. From the howl it was clear that more wolves were coming after her. Not waiting for her mom to open the door, Maddy used the key kept under the mat to enter and immediately locked the front door. She went to her mom's room, only to find an empty bed.

Maddy's breath hitched. Maddy started tearing up, thinking that the wolves had somehow gotten to her mom when she noticed a note on the table beside the bed. The note said that her mom had a night shift and would only come back the next morning. Her mom was a doctor so it wasn't unusual for her to be away at the hospital. However, Maddy was still scared for her mom. Maybe this was just a set up for her to think that her mom was fine. Maddy quickly called her mom. Thankfully, her mom picked up after a few rings and after ensuring that she was safe, Maddy analyzed the situation.

What she had seen was too absurd, so it must have been a dream. That fact calmed her down and she decided to make the best use of it. After all, hadn't she always wanted to be the main character in a werewolf book, being chased by rogues?

With that in mind, Maddy decided to fight the werewolves coming after her. Maddy was writing a book about werewolves on Wattpad, so she had a large amount of knowledge about werewolves and she knew that silver was the werewolves' weakness that is, if the stories were correct.

Thinking on her feet, she quickly rummaged through her mom's drawers until she came across her mom's silver ring. It was one of her mom's favorite piece of jewelry and Maddy felt bad for taking it, but it was a life and death situation. She quickly changed into a pair of jeans and a shirt that she was comfortable in as a short dress that came up to her mid thighs wasn't exactly ideal for fighting werewolves.

She searched some more in mom's room if there were more silver jewelry which she could use. She had been lucky that she was able to knock out the previous wolf, but judging by the howls that she had heard it wouldn't only be a single wolf coming after her but a pack of wolves. She needed as much silver as she could get her hands on. She briefly thought of calling Leia once again. Surely, her dad would be able to do something, but then she thought- if this was a dream anyway, she might as well live it to the fullest. Right?

Finding nothing that was made of actual silver, she went to her room to search when she remembered that they had a pair of silver fork and spoon on the showcase for display. She was grabbing the silver fork and spoon when she heard scraping sounds from the front door like someone was trying to break in. The werewolves had come for her and Maddy was ready to kick their asses.

Make sure to vote, comment and share this story.  -Aroha 

  -Aroha