|31| Madison

Maddy spent some time in the library reading the book that she had picked up

Maddy spent some time in the library reading the book that she had picked up. After leafing through some of the pages, she put the book away and started searching for some kind of book that talked about the different kinds of supernaturals. As she was going through the various titles of the book, her eyes caught the sight of a marble statue of a howling wolf standing on top of a cliff.

The statue was beautifully carved with intricate carvings. Behind the statue was a fireplace with logs of wood. There were a number of spiderwebs on the inner part of the fireplace. Maddy placed her hand on the cold snout of the statue of the wolf, mesmerized by it. She playfully tapped the wolf on its snout and her breath caught when she heard a hollow sound.

The statue was hollow from the inside and wherever there was a hollow drawer or statue, was a secret compartment. For the next few minutes, she tried figuring out where to press the statue so that it opens up. She tried pressing the eyes, the ears and literally every part of the statue but to no avail. She was trying to see if there was any sort of button on the statue when she tripped and fell. Maddy frantically grabbed on to the snout of the wolf to prevent herself from falling on her butt but that didn't help and Maddy toppled on the floor. It was the second time she had fallen today. Why did the gods hate her so much?

Groaning, she got up and was shocked to find the sight in front of her. In place of the fireplace stood another door which looked exactly like the one she had used to get inside the library. When she glanced at the wolf statue to see what had triggered the sudden appearance of the door, she saw that the position of the entire statue had changed.

The cliff which had been at a 45° angle pointing towards the ceiling was now flat at a 0° angle. The entire statue was some sort of a lever and when Maddy had grabbed on to the snout to prevent herself from falling, she had unknowingly pushed the lever.

Just to make sure that her theory was correct Maddy pushed the snout of the wolf up and watched with amazement as the entire cliff lifted up and the fireplace was back. Maddy pushed it down again but this time paid attention to the fireplace. A white, dense smog covered the fireplace and when the smoke disappeared, the door appeared. Maddy was sure that it wasn't werewolf magic, but the magic of some other supernatural. Maddy slowly approached the door, her fascination increasing with every step.

She turned the handle slowly and stepped in to the room. If she had thought the library was amazing, this place was breathtaking. The entire place looked magical. Quite literally. The room was circular in shape and every inch of the wall was filled with books. The room didn't have any artificial lights, but looked as if it was bathed in moonlight, giving it a blueish glow. At the center of the room was a tall, round table and a few spaces away from it was a plush sofa. The entire room was filled with magic and every hair in Maddy's arm stood up with excitement and nervousness. Maddy slowly walked in, taking in the entire sight with her eyes.

"Hello there!"

Maddy snapped her head towards the direction from which the squeaky voice came and let out a shout of surprise when she saw a small creature. Her heart started beating faster and she took a step back, trying to put some distance between herself and the small creature. The small creature looked exactly like a human but was much smaller, slightly bigger than the size of her palm. She also appeared to be flying towards her, with her tiny wings beating quickly.

"Well, I didn't think I was that frightening," the creature said sadly.

The creature didn't have any weapons and did not look like a threat, so Maddy relaxed her posture. Maddy being scared by her, seemed to hurt her feelings which made Maddy feel bad. "You just surprised me. You look quite pretty actually."

That sentence was true. The creature was wearing a pale blue dress that looked distinctly Greek. Her blonde hair was piled into a bun with a few strands of hair framing her face. The creature smiled at the compliment.

"Not to be rude, but what are you?" Maddy asked politely.

"Me?" she asked, pointing at herself. "Oh, I am a smo."

Maddy pressed her lips together to stop herself from smiling at the cuteness of the name. Smo? That sounded like you were going to tell 'smoking' but stopped halfway.

"That's a nice name."

"Name? No, no. My name is Lila. Just like how there are werewolves, I am a smo. Each and every fae has their own smo, similar to how each werewolf has their own mate. We bond in a spiritual with our respective fae and as long as the fae is alive, his or her smo is also alive and vice versa," Lila explained.

"So, the fae are real as well?" Maddy asked excited.

"Of course, they are real. However, I don't know how many of them are alive. Ella, the fae I am bonded to, left for a war. I don't know how many fae are alive now," Lila said wistfully.

Maddy stayed there for some time talking with Lila. She didn't get a chance to read the books in the magical library but she decided to come back later. She pushed the statue back to its original place and went out of the library. Soon, she was back to the to the ground floor and she made her way outside.

"There you are. We've been looking for you everywhere. We thought you got kidnapped once again," Alexa shouted, grabbing Maddy's arm.

"I was in the library. Xander knew that."

"Well, he went and checked in the library, but apparently you weren't there."

Maddy nodded, understanding what Alexa meant. Maddy must have been in the magical library when Xander checked on her. 'But how did Xander not see the door to the magical library?' Maddy wondered. She decided to ask Lila later.

Maddy wanted to tell Alexa about the amazing magical library that she had found but the moment she tried to speak, no words came out. So, she ended up opening and closing her mouth like a stupid fish.

Alexa gave her a funny look but didn't say anything. 'The library must have a certain spell that prevented her from speaking about it,' Maddy decided. Another thing to add to never-ending her list of mysteries.

"Come on, dad wanted to talk to all of us," Alexa said rushing forward.

Make sure to vote, comment and share this story. -Aroha 

  -Aroha