|29| Madison

Maddy made her way to the war room where they were going to discuss strategy, the next day

Maddy made her way to the war room where they were going to discuss strategy, the next day. This was going to be the first formal war strategizing meeting that Maddy was attending. Maddy wiped the bead of sweat that was making its way down her face. The sun was shining brightly and a few steps was all it took for her to start sweating like a pig.

The Alpha and his entire family were already there by the time Maddy reached. She greeted all of them and took a seat beside Xander. Maddy didn't know exactly why exactly she was called into the pack meetings even though she wasn't a werewolf, but she wasn't complaining. It was probably because she somehow always found herself in the middle of trouble. Soon Jeremy, the Beta of Amalthea Pack and about fifty other dominant werewolves came. Maddy could recognize Katie and her friends among the crowd and another sweet couple who had been very friendly towards her. Other than that, she couldn't recognize anyone.

The meeting started with the Alpha giving a small speech updating the entire pack about what happened in the safehouse.

"If any of you have any idea on how to find the matefinder, please tell it now."

"We could send someone to scout the safehouse where Maddy and Xander were being kept for clues," one of the werewolves suggested.

That was a good idea and after another half an hour of discussion, it was decided that one of the dominants, Elijah, a man of about 30 years of age with a moustache like the one Poirot had, would be going as a scout.

The meeting droned on for hours and hours, each idea being discussed for hours and hours. They had started the meeting early in the morning but it was already lunch time yet, it was already lunch time but the meeting showed no sign of stopping. And the worst part? Even after a lot of discussion, most of the ideas were being rejected. Soon, a huge cart was brought into the room and lunch was being served during the meeting itself.

Maddy now realized why Alexa and Jeremy hadn't come back to the pack when Xander and Maddy were taken. When Alexa and Jeremy had been asked why they didn't inform the pack when Xander, Leia and Maddy had been taken, they said that their dad would have to take the matter to the Werewolf Council who will take a lot of time. It was the duty of every Alpha to report any sort of unusual issue to the Werewolf council, before taking any actions and the Alpha of the Amalthea Pack, too would have to notify the Council. If a meeting for two packs was taking this long, Maddy didn't want to know how long the Council would take to make a single decision. Suddenly a thought struck Maddy. She turned to Xander to ask him.

"If the Council takes decisions on important matters, why aren't they making sure that the matefinder is found?"

"About that...," Xander trailed off. "We haven't really informed the council about any of this."

"What? Why?" Maddy whisper-screamed so as to not draw any unnecessary attention towards her and Xander.

"You see, the Council isn't exactly friendly. They are extremely stuck up. Their word is the law, so if they tell us to do something, even the Alphas are powerless. If we tell them about the matefinder being kidnapped, they will discuss among themselves and come to this conclusion- you are behind all of this."

"What? But I didn't do anything!"

"I know. I know," Xander said, holding his hands up in surrender. "We know that you aren't behind all of this but the Council doesn't. The situation is suspicious. Everything was going fine until it wasn't and only one new variable was added to the equation. You. They'll say that you had staged the kidnapping to gain their trust. If you were a stranger who I didn't know, even I would suspect you. Every time the rogues strike, you are somehow in the middle of it even though you aren't a werewolf."

"But it isn't my fault!"

"They will mostly decide that you are the mastermind behind it all and then without even trying to figure out if it is really you, they will lock you up."

"Oh," Maddy said feeling astonished and intimidated.

Xander squeezed her hand. "Don't worry. I won't let them take you."

Maddy blushed crimson and ducked her head so that he won't see that her cheeks are tinted.

Maddy tried to concentrate on the meeting, she really did, but her mind kept wandering here and there. She literally had to hold her eyelids apart to stop herself from falling asleep. This was more boring than her geography class and that was saying something.

"You getting bored?" Xander whispered to her.

"Yeah," Maddy replied, thankful for the distraction.

"Come on let's sneak out. No one will notice."

Maddy was unsure. She had never 'sneaked out' before with anyone other than Leia.

"Oh god," Xander groaned. "You are a goody two shoes."

Maddy crossed her arms across her chest. "Am not."

Xander smirked and held his hand out. "Then come sneak out with me."

Maddy had walked right into that one, hadn't she? Maddy was the type of girl who would never backdown from a challenge. As a result, she couldn't say no to him. Glancing at the crowd one last time, she placed her hand on top of Xander's.

"Let's go."

Make sure to vote, comment and share this story. -Aroha 

  -Aroha