|41| Madison

Maddy stabbed a rogue in the stomach using her dagger

Maddy stabbed a rogue in the stomach using her dagger. Maddy and Xander were fighting back-to-back, trying to make their way back to hotel. They had underestimated the number of rogues who would be after Xander and Maddy. An endless wave of rogues seemed to be coming into the courtyard. It was Maddy's 9th rogue and don't even ask about Xander. He was a fricking machine in battle, jumping on top of rogue after rogue in his wolf form.

Bodies littered the ground of the field of both the rogues and the pack. There was strange stench of what Maddy assumed was human bodies. After what seemed like hours, Maddy and Xander got out of the courtyard. They jogged towards the hotel.

It was nearly deserted when they came in. Clearly, this little escapade had frightened all the humans. Maddy was thankful for the deserted hallways. The last thing they needed was humans getting hurt, just because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

As soon as the receptionist saw them, she scowled and told them to go away. Maddy smiled sheepishly at her. Xander and Maddy exchanged looks and at the count of three, they broke into a run. Maddy went towards the elevator but was stopped by Xander. He insisted that they use the staircase as elevators were enclosed places with less place to fight in, if the need arises. Huffing and puffing, they reached the fifth floor, the floor where they had encountered the tooth-necklace lady. Stupid Xander and his overprotectiveness.

Maddy had taken no more than two steps into the hallway, when she froze. A knife was being held right in front of her throat. From the corner of her eye, she saw that Xander too was in a similar position.

"Hello there," tooth-necklace lady cooed from behind Maddy.

Maddy clenched her fists and gulped loudly. Their plan had gone wrong. They had expected all the rogues to desert this place but clearly, two of them were still there. Tooth-necklace lady used the same trick as Xander, and was now wearing a full sleeved t-shirt.

"Move forward slowly. Any fast movements and both of you'll be dead," the guy behind Xander said. The voice sounded extremely familiar. Maddy slowly moved her head to the side to get a glimpse of the guy behind Xander, carefully so that she didn't kill herself by mistake. Xander growled loudly on hearing the voice and Maddy gasped when she saw the Beta of the Amalthea Pack holding the knife to Xander's throat. It had been him all along!

"You!" Xander snarled.

Suddenly everything made sense now. It had been the Beta all along who had been giving the information to the rogues. Maddy remembered how the Beta had insisted that Elijah's death was a natural one even though Justin thought it wasn't. She thanked the gods that the Beta hadn't been present during the second war meeting when they had discussed about how they were going to attack the rogues. Had the Beta been there, their attack would have turned into a bloodbath.

Maddy took a deep breath in, trying to calm herself down. 'There is no point in hyperventilating right now,' she reminded herself.

"Yes, me. Now move!" he barked.