|39| Madison

Maddy was talking to one of her school friends, Lily with whom only about a month ago, she had been playing truth and dare during Leia's birthday

Maddy was talking to one of her school friends, Lily with whom only about a month ago, she had been playing truth and dare during Leia's birthday. It felt like a lifetime ago even though it had barely been a month.

The members of the Callisto Pack had arrived yesterday and Maddy was spending her time catching up with her friends. There were so many things that they had kept from her and Maddy couldn't decide between being awed and being pissed at them.

Suddenly, Lily grabs Maddy's hand and started leading her to someplace.

"What are you doing?"

"Alpha called meeting. He told everyone should come."

"Oh," Maddy replied, confused. What could have happened that everyone had been called?

They went to the open area where the sacrifice to call the matefinder had taken place. She found Xander, Alexa and Jeremy and went to ask them what was going on. Surely, they must know something. However, even they were as confused as Maddy was. A few minutes later, Justin and Tristan came in. Everyone from both the packs had come. Every single person.

Tristan was glaring at every single person in there. Ever since Leia got kidnapped, he had become restless to get his hands on Leia's abductor. Judging by the expression on Tristan's face, Leia's abductor death won't be a pretty one and Maddy wouldn't have it any other way. It was funny how a month ago, her biggest worries were whether she would be able to update her Wattpad story on time and now, the lives of at least eighty werewolves depended on the fact that her assumptions of Valencia Hotel were correct.

All the pack members were made to line up and a huge sack was placed for everyone to drop their cellphones. Everyone, even those who didn't have cellphone lined up. Since the cellphones were provided by the Alphas from the entire pack's salary, the Alpha i.e. Justin and Tristan had a list of all the cellphones in the pack. One by one, the pack members dropped their cellphones without any questions and their name was crossed out of the list. As Maddy's turn came she turned her pockets inside-out, showing that she didn't have a cellphone.

The entire event took half an hour and after that, they were made to sit in horizontal rows. It reminded Maddy of the school assemblies where she needed to sit at an arm's length from the rest of the students.

Once everyone had settled down, Justin cleared his throat loudly. "You all must be wondering why we called this meeting. You see, it has come to our notice that there is a spy among us." Justin paused, giving a dramatic effect as gasps rang out from all the pack members.

Tristan continued. "There is no way the rogues would have known that Elijah was going to spy on the safehouse and that Elijah takes a nap after lunch, which played a vital role in his death, unless someone tipped him off. I know that there is a possibility that the matefinder might be the one telling them, but we can't take chances. We have determined the location of the matefinder and we'll be attacking today. Yes, I know that we were supposed to strike four days back, but this sudden attack is something that they won't expect."

"If you see the person sitting next to you using any kind of device please inform us. Without devices, the only way to communicate is through the pack link. Since everyone here is part of the pack, none of you should be able to communicate with any individual outside this space."

Tristan leaned forward and continued from where Justin stopped. "Here is the plan. Maddy and Xander will be going as a bait to the hotel where the matefinder is being kept. I am sure most of you know who both of them are. The rogues seem to have taken a special interest towards the two of them. I trust both of them with my life and I expect you do the same.

They will lead the pack to an open field that is situated nearby which we have located. All of us who are going to fight, will be waiting there to ambush the rogues. Meanwhile, Xander and Maddy will go back to retrieve the matefinder. Once the matefinder, is taken to safety and every single rogue who is against us is killed, we will return. For those who won't be going to fight, you will remain here. Diana, the Luna of the Amalthea Pack will keep an eye on you. Once the attack has been launched, only then will you be allowed to go back to your usual tasks."

"We are sorry for the inconvenience caused but we need to save the matefinder. She has helped unite several mated pairs for hundreds of years and we all know how important mates are. After all that she has done for us, we can't and we won't let her be taken away from us like this. It is time for us to return the favor."

The two packs cheered loudly. The speech, combined with Tristan and Justin's Alpha tone made it extremely inspiring. Maddy felt goosebumps rising, just hearing them speak so passionately. The audience too were shouting with determination.

***

"Are you fine with doing this? You can still back out right now. No one will judge you," Xander said, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I'm ready to kick their asses for trying to mess with me and taking my best friend away from me," Maddy said, her voice clear and steady. Her heart was thumping loudly. This must be how soldiers felt before going to fight a war for their country. Fear combined with exhilaration coursed through Maddy's veins.

Maddy stared at the silver armor specially made for her. It was beautifully made and fit her perfectly. As she walked among the werewolves, they kept their distance from her so that they did not get hurt.

Maddy and Xander would be leaving first in a car, followed by the rest of the Amalthea and Callisto Pack. As they made their way to the car, Xander stopped her. "This might be the last chance you ever get to kiss me," he warned.

Maddy blushed and rolled her eyes. "Oh, please nothing's going to happen to you in this fight. Quit being so dramatic."

Xander winked at her, grinning. "So, you are implying that you'll kiss me after the fight?"

Maddy smirked at him. "We'll see about that."

Satisfied with the answer, Xander strode forward towards the car with Maddy following behind him. 

Make sure to vote, comment and share this story. -Aroha 

 -Aroha