12: When The Going Gets Tough...

"🎶Lovely and pure
        🎶One in a million
Dark as the night🎶
       🎶Their words they hu-"

"Shut it, Flattie!" Amber shot at me, interrupting my singing. There were several of them, all trying to squeeze their heads through the small bathroom windows just to catch a glimpse of the males working out and training to keep fit. They were by the security housing occupying the rest of the clearing around it.

Some of the girls I was to be working with to clean up that room were amongst those fighting to see shirtless, sweaty guys while I was amongst the few who saw that as less important and was working on tidying up the room. At that rate, we would get nothing done.

"Hasn't it been enough? Come on! The clock's ticking and we've been in the same position for the last hour. Mrs. Evelynn will be here soon to inspect our work!" I emphasized.

Since Cassidy was back as well, it could be any of them coming to inspect our work but I hoped for the former.

"So?" Amber began, disengaging from the window.

"Even if she came and met us like this, she's your guardian angel, she could punish the rest of us but she'll do nothing to you. So why do you even bother?"

That left me speechless; Evelynn wasn't like that and if she had to punish me, she would. However, before I could say anything, Lenny cut in.

"Amber just stop it, Carina's right. Let's just work."

She crossed her arms over her chest while glaring daggers at Lenny. I was glad someone agreed with me and not only that, but Lenny used my actual name to address me.

"You know what, Flattie, you're just feeling bad because none of those boys are ever gonna look your way and I don't blame them because aside from feeling bad, you don't even look good." Her lips were pulled in a smirk.

Everyone's attention was on us now as there were dramatic 'oohs' and 'aahs' following Amber's comment. My hands were starting to clench by my side. I knew it was not true—none of it was.

"And don't even let me get started on when Susan out of her infinite kindness tried to help you but you refused and why? You just can't stop being the miserable b*tch that you are."

Everyone else hailed her—clapping and cheering, putting me to scorn.

The news just kept on spreading, didn't it? Susan was trying to help me—though I wouldn't call it that—in exchange for something much more precious. I wasn't gonna let that happen. They were all too blind to see the truth anyways.

To say her words didn't faze me would be a hideous lie. Even though all that spewed out of that mouth of hers were nothing but lies, I wanted to wipe that smug look off her face.

"It's not true!" I retorted.

"Prove it!" She cocked a brow, staring at me in mock anticipation.

At that moment the door opened and storming in, was Cassidy with Lenny behind her.

"What is going on here?" She bellowed.

At her words, the many others who weren't supposed to be there started filing out one by one.

"So this is what you all have been at? Picking fights with each other instead of working? When I come in here in the next five minutes and you aren't done, I'll make sure you finish up at least ten rooms before the end of today!"

Thank God for Lenny 'cause I didn't know what I would've done. That was a close call.

Amber kept on glaring daggers at the pair of us. "You win this time! But I'll have the last laugh."