59: A Debut to Remember(Pt.3)

There was an undertone of condescension and mockery in the woman's tone or maybe it was all just in my head. Subconsciously, I touched my emerald necklace as I angled my visage to view the woman beside me who had made the statement.

A large golden fascinator hat with a netted veil sat proudly atop her head and as such, her face was sufficiently hidden from me except for a pouty pair of glossy red lips.

It was visible just inches from where the veil stopped. To me, her accessory was absolutely atrocious and a bit overdone though it perfectly complemented the black peacoat dress that adorned her lean form.

"Thank you," I enunciated while completely ignoring her question. "Your headdress is...one of a kind."

She seemed to bob her head and I saw her lips curl upwards momentarily. "Of course it is. In fact, I'll let you know that I first saw it in France and fell in love with it immediately. I bought an entire collection." She touched the golden veil with slender fingers.

Plastering a plastic smile onto my exterior, I commented, "I see."

Trevor was right; I was already fed up with these events. The fact that I had to sit through moments of gloating appalled me. If people like the elite woman beside me were those that I'd have to face each time I turned up at one of these jamborees then I simply wouldn't show up.

I absolutely despised the haughty manner with which she addressed me. It was almost like she knew something about me that I didn't, prompting me to feel a bit uncomfortable. However, I wouldn't dare to show it.

"Have you ever been there? Have you been to France before?" She inquired.

"No, I haven't." I was yet to understand what she was getting at. "But I'm sure it's a wonderful place to be."

"Indeed. I'll also take it that you haven't been anywhere outside this country, right? Because every single guest here has visited about a handful of countries."

At that point, I wanted to get out of my seat and go do something else. Who did she think she was to tell me that I didn't belong there?

"Is that so? Well, I may not have visited any other country but the fact that I'm sitting here in this chair, rubbing shoulders with you makes me just as important and equal to you and every other elite in this place."

Her glossy lips quickly formed a frown and I knew that I had said the right thing. Finally, I lifted my fork and cut into the cake before me. It had a delicious strawberry flavor that just melted in my mouth. It tasted even better with my recent triumph and I almost giggled.

"By the way, my name is Zoe Saunders." That arrogant tone still wasn't gone yet.

"Carina Osborne. Nice to meet you," I mentioned without looking her way.

A server was going around the table, placing bottles of water for everyone. Another server was refilling wine glasses and upon noticing that I had no wine glass before me, he placed one and filled it. The current performance happening at the centre of the room had just come to an end and throwing furtive glances around, I tried to find Rowen.

"It seems your attention is divided, Carina. Are you looking for someone? Your boyfriend, perhaps?" Her snarky tone came up again.

I grasped the bottle of water. "Your definition of 'divided attention' is different from mine."

Those red lips briefly curled up into a smile. A wry smile. By then, she could see how I was deliberately avoiding any talk concerning my fiancé and I would continue to do so until she had learnt to mind her business. There was something about that woman-I didn't want to make any assumptions but she definitely knew a lot more than she was letting on.