52: Happily Ever Anna

Twirling slowly according to the cameraman's request, I thrust out my hands in a fantasy-inspired pose and gave a rehearsed smile as he took the shot.

After a glance at the camera's screen, he looked up at me and winked. "Perfect…" he mouthed before starting to walk away with his gaze on the camera screen once more. "So damn photogenic…" I heard him say before he was out of earshot.

"That's a wrap now, people!" Someone hollered.

I sighed softly, fatigue eating its way into my bones. Modelling was no easy job and no one could convince me otherwise. I proceeded to one of the stalls so I could change out of my outfit.

I came out wearing a red and black corset-style top with a pair of red dress pants and a long red jacket. Then, I exchanged greetings with some of the crew and other models before shuffling over to one of the vanities.

Once seated, I waited for a hair stylist to come help ease the weight of the elaborate hairdo that I used for the shoot.

I sent a quick text to Kendall so she could come around and pick me up. Rowen got me a car for my birthday that year and I was still getting accustomed to owning it, much less driving it around.

If I had known that was what he was going to get me, I would've definitely talked him out of it but I didn't know and the car was already here so I had to deal with it.

Having taken up several modelling gigs within those periods, I had become even more popular and garnered more recognition than I could ever hope for. I even had to resort to using hats and shades so people wouldn't recognize me. So, as much as I hated to admit it, I did need the vehicle to get around unrecognized.

Kendall, on the other hand, seemed to have no problem with being recognized and always basked in all the attention. Every so often, she encouraged me to do so too but we both knew that pigs would fly before I took her advice on that. What I did take her advice on was to get a driver's license and the test I had to take to get it was in a few days.

"Hey, I saw you out there. You're a complete natural at this." The hair stylist, Sean, complimented me.

"Thank you, I do my best," I replied while dabbing my face to get rid of some makeup.

My phone began to buzz while on the vanity table. Picking it up, I saw that it was a reminder of when I had to visit Anaïs next. Her bright, cheerful face on my screen always put a smile on my face and I couldn't help but thank God for putting her in my life.

"That's a cute kid you have there," Sean remarked, probably after stealing a peek at my phone.

"Yes, she's nothing but a ray of sunshine."

He probably thought that I was a single mother at that point and I didn't try to prove otherwise. Kendall was waiting for me by the time I was done.

"I'm totally crashing at your place tonight," she informed me once I ducked into the car.

She looked pretty exhausted and dull. It was the exact opposite of the Kendall that I knew. Apparently, her mother came around and from what I saw, the woman really kept her on her toes.

According to her, she preferred her father's company to her mother's. Coupled with her breakup with Ambrose, things weren't really going great for her.

"What about your mother?"

"I dropped her off at the airport this afternoon. I need to throw a party to celebrate her departure. Seriously."

"Well said." I nodded approvingly. "But first, you'll have to be fully rested and in a good state of mind before you begin planning for it. So, let's go home first."