29: Apple Of Discord

"You have got to be kidding me."

I wasn't hallucinating and it wasn't some kind of bad dream. It was 'the' Gabriel McGregor, that's who. I hadn't seen this guy in years and honestly, I thought that maybe just maybe when I saw him again, he'd be less intimidating and brutal but, I was too wrong.

He had changed too just like Jared had, being taller than Jared was, at least by several inches but not as tall as Ro was. He looked toughened up from the last time I saw him.

His thick brows knitted together, probably in confusion for the briefest of moments before his eyes regarded me perfunctorily. I shuffled nervously, under that scrutinizing gaze of his, waiting to just maybe be let in.

Then he advanced out of the building, leaving the door to slam behind him as he sneezed intermittently, almost doubling over as he scrambled onto the curb.

I watched him confusedly for some time on his procession before I clutched the burnished door knob and gained entrance into the house.

It wasn't till I spotted Faustina in the foyer that I understood what just happened.

Remembering what JJ had told me once, about Gabe's allergy to fur, I shook my head before reaching down to scoop the furry creature into my arms.

"Me-o-ow…"

I was still very surprised—shaken even. I mean, I knew he lived here, however, just seeing him again was something I didn't expect. I knew for sure where I would be having dinner that night.

Sifting a hand through the feline's fur, I wondered if JJ was home before aiming my gaze towards the door Gabe just stumbled out of.

That night, I assisted Louisa in the kitchen since thankfully, she'd already worked her shift. She made small talk with me, a habit which I was just getting accustomed to since she never did that. Then, Gabe stepped in and I excused myself so I could go set the table, deliberately avoiding the weirdness that would ensue for me if I stayed.

As planned, I had dinner in my room, exempting myself, even though Ezra insisted I sat amongst them. Jared was yet to come home and currently, I was doing the dishes when some shuffling at the door reached my ears.

Since it was quite late, I knew exactly who to expect on the other side. As expected, Jared was there, though barely standing and being held by…

"Philip?" My voice came out more surprised than I intended it to be. I did NOT anticipate Philip at all.

"Hello… Again. Carina…" His words were a bit slurred which was blatant proof that he'd had a little something to drink too. It was very similar to a scenario of one blind man leading another and maybe in a different circumstance, it could have been amusing. I guessed I should be getting used to having my best friend carouse and get wasted.

Some movement from behind induced me to turn, and I saw Gabe watching us from the stairs as he descended them. My hand on the door trembled and I worried greatly.

He acknowledged Philip, which pointed to a seeming acquaintance between them, and then when his eyes found Jared, his features morphed irrevocably, which I was guessing Philip took as his cue to scram.

"Shut the door…" He spoke through clenched teeth once he'd helped his younger brother into the house. I had almost forgotten how accentuated Gabe's accent was. They all had it but he always stood out. I didn't know why.

To say Gabe was angry would be putting it superficially 'cause he was livid… But that wouldn't deter me from what I wanted to do as I followed from a safe distance behind them just in case. All remained silent save for JJ's incoherent muttering and nonsensical babbling.