49: Satirical Surprises

In the week that followed, I didn't expect the changes I experienced; it was as if a lever was pulled to end my nightmares. I couldn't believe that I was then able to sleep without some fragment of my past coming to haunt my dreams.

I hated to admit it, but it had something to do with that entire party experience—I knew it did. Somehow, I had re-lived my rape experience—as grim as it sounded—because of Gareth and it helped a lot. The 'socializing' I'd done that night really aided me in more ways than I could imagine but that wouldn't mean that I would go again.

I was wrong about Doctor Dean and his methods and I was sure to tell him all about my improvements on our next appointment.

Kendall had also gotten me spilling my guts about everything that connected Rowen and me. She had milked every single detail there was out of me until there was nothing left to tell. I had told her about my humble beginnings in the city as a common scullery maid leading to my meeting Ro who was then deranged.

She later declared that she was going to make sure that we ended up together despite having been informed by me that he was taken.

I was also able to meet up with Pierre and we discussed. I ended up signing a contract all the while hoping that I wouldn't regret it and I was scheduled to have my first photo shoot in the next two days.

I was coming out of an auditorium after lectures were concluded when I almost bumped into two guys wearing identical clothes. They were familiar 'cause I'd seen them with Gareth before.

"Hey, you're Gareth's chick, right?" One of them said, snickering.

I gave them a strange look then turned and walked away. That was one of the consequences of that night. Since that party helped me in more ways than I imagined, it also tainted my image.

People who had seen me that night with Gareth, dancing without a care in the world, probably thought less of me and I hoped it wouldn't escalate any more than it already had. Speaking of which, I hadn't seen Gareth for a while. I knew the campus was big enough for you to miss just about anyone but in that case, something was up.

I had made my peace with what happened at that party and I was no longer mad at him for it. All I wanted to do was to smooth things out with him. I'd tell him that I wasn't into him and that would be it. He'd just have to show up first.

"Hey, Carina! Wait up!" Soma called as he ran to meet up with me. We sat together during lectures and I didn't realize I'd left him behind.

While I waited for Kendall and Mimi to come to pick me up so that we could get to our plans for that day, Soma and I chatted a bit about schoolwork. Both our majors were accounting but Mimi and Kendall were majoring in something similar to it but not quite. So, while there were lectures we took together, there were some we didn't.

Her blue Sedan was unmistakable when it came into view and I had to say goodbye to Soma before hopping in. Ken honked several times to acknowledge him.

"How's my favourite redhead doing?" Kendall asked me, despite my different hair colour.

"Pretty great, thanks. What about you?"

"As good as I'll ever be. Seriously, I can't wait to just be pampered right now."

She was referring to the appointment we had at the spa which was where we were headed to. I thought I could use it too since I had a photo shoot coming up soon and for some reason, I was actually looking forward to it.

The average, brown-eyed Asian in the passenger seat turned to me with a cool expression. "Hey."

"Hi."