18: Colourful Skies And Red Wine

I coughed, groaning. Bambi's hand was currently draped over my face and I suddenly regretted letting her share that bed with me.

As of last night, there was heavy rainfall and after several thunder strikes, she ran up begging if she could stay with me for just that night. I obliged, offering her the top bunk, however, it turned out she was more scared than I thought. So that was how we ended up together, on mine.

She slept like a pig; a foul, appalling pig. She sprawled out on the bed in a grotesque fashion without any atom of regard as to who else was on it with her. I was tempted to shove her off, right then.

My night's sleep had gone awry despite having such favourable weather and she was the cause. In the future, when such a situation came up again, either she slept in the top bunk or she didn't sleep at all.

Adjusting her arm from my face for the umpteenth time, I sat up and rubbed my eyes while suppressing a yawn. I didn't need a mirror to know how tousled my hair was, given my constant tossing and turning—not to mention how many times I had to get Bambi's hand out of it.

Gosh! I was never letting her sleep near me again.

I pulled out my phone in an attempt to check the time. I would have checked the wall clock but I didn't want to strain my eyes. I spotted a notification that read '4 missed calls' and instantly the ringtone blared again, showing Nicholas's name on the screen.

Blowing a strand of hair away from my face, I pressed the answer button before bringing it to my ears.

"Hey...bro," I drawled.

"Hey, sis, why do you sound like that?" His voice came.

I blinked once, twice.

"I don't know, maybe it's because I just woke up?" I deadpanned.

"How could I have possibly known that? Someone sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed today." He sniggered over the line.

If only he knew. This wasn't the first time he'd called me this early.

"I'm sorry though. You know I'm normally very busy during the day and this is the only time I can call you." He said. "Now how's my favourite sis?"

That made me smile as I shook my head. I was his only sister.

"I'll be okay, Nicholas. Once I get over last night's inconveniences," I told him, looking back at Bambi who sprawled out even more on the bed while running a hand through my hair.

"What inconveniences?" He asked in an amused tone.

"That is a long story. Putting that aside, how's Mom and Dad?"

"They are good. They still bicker and nag but they're good."

"And the twins? What about grandma?" I asked.

"They're all well and you know our twins, they keep on getting into even more trouble."

I chuckled, now standing by the window and looking out to the dawn. The weather was still cold though.

"When will you be on leave again?"

"Honestly, I don't know," I replied. "It's not that easy given the role I now play, but I'm sure when the time is right I'll get to go on one again."

We talked a bit more and as soon as there was a little static over the line before it went dead, Evelynn and Cassidy materialized. Just as the room burst into a frenzy, Evelynn found me.

"Madam has requested to have dinner with you," she said after I greeted her.

That one caught me off guard.