7: Dress Theft

"Where is it?" I wondered whilst ransacking my bag. My brain was already going a million miles an hour looking for that dress.

Before I went to sleep...or tried to sleep last night, I changed out of my emerald dress and changed into something warmer due to how the weather turned out. I left it folded on the dresser beside the bed I was on, with the intention of keeping it properly in the morning.

Earlier that day, I showered before anyone could wake up, figured that it was a way to reduce my encounters with those crazy set of girls. However, in an attempt to arrange my things before any other thing, I sought for it but alas, to no avail, finding it deemed impossible even after searching all the beds and the dressers around me.

Not needing anyone to tell me, I figured out that someone took it. That had to be it. If they could snatch my phone from me then how much more my dress...

"Good morning, Carina," A voice called out, startling me. It was Evelynn's. She was in a long sleeved brocade, sangria red top with a cream coloured silk insert and a zipper at the back as it was fitted.

The skirt, however, wasn't. It was high waisted, straight cut and darted, bearing the same hue as its counterpart. I didn't think she did any work 'cause those clothes certainly didn't look cut out for it. Her hair was in a low bun tied together with a ribbon of the same colour.

"Ooh morning...Evelynn," my tired brain managed.

I was still in towels, sticking out like a sore thumb.

"How was your night?" She continued, her eyes scanning me carefully from head to toe.

"Well, I didn't and couldn't sleep so, it was absolutely the worst night in my life and undoubtedly the first of many to come."

"Why it was fantastic." I hoped she didn't notice my red-rimmed eyes.

All around us was chaos as everyone was scrambling around to get ready.

A woman around Evelynn's age made her way to us, clad in the same clothes which signified their superiority, obviously. Taking one look at me, her face scrunched up a bit but she was quick to alleviate it by smiling widely as she said:

"You must be new, welcome to the Numman household."

I nodded. "Thanks?"

"She's Cassidy and will be the one you would be reporting to, in case I'm nowhere to be seen," Evelynn added.

The woman, Cassidy, handed something to Evelynn before eyeing me curiously whilst turning on her heel to continue gingering the girls to be faster.

"Are you okay?" Evelynn asked concernedly, still watching me carefully.

"Yes, I am." I responded slowly.

"And how did you get all the way here? I thought I assigned you to a bed yesterday," she voiced.

I froze, thinking of a plausible response.

"Actually, this is where I feel most comfortable in. This bed is much softer than that other one."

"Ok... And what are you searching for?"

"My dress, I think someone took it. It means a lot to me—I'm going crazy here."

"Nothing, I'm just trying to put my things in order that's all," I replied, knowing fully well that telling her the truth would end badly for me.

She handed me the clothes that she was holding, it was a maids' uniform my size just like the ones the others were wearing.

"Thanks Evelynn, this is nice..." And as soon as the words left my mouth, one really stuck out, reiterating in my mind, "Nice..."

The woman that shoved me yesterday, she made a comment on my dress. "Nice dress," was all she said and today I can't find it. She must have been the one who took it, but why? It wouldn't even fit her.