45: Dr. Dean's

"Hi, Carina," he greeted, flashing a heartstopping smile at me.

On finding some composure, I feigned a smile of my own. "Hello Gareth."

His smile grew even wider. "So, are you free this weekend?"

"No, not really." I answered.

"Anyways, I was wondering if you could attend a party that's happening at my place. Maybe, you could squeeze it into your plans… I'd really like to see you there." He blurted out expectantly.

I was surprised at his audacity. He practically acted like it was just the two of us in that hall. Like there weren't loads of people listening to him specially inviting me to his party in all suggestiveness. Notwithstanding that I'd already indicated my busy schedule on weekends.

"Actually, I-"

The Professor chose that moment to be the right time to barge in, interrupting my speech.

"You'll think about it, yeah?" He asked quickly before giving Kendall a meaningful look and making his way out of the hall…

That look probably meant, 'make sure she comes to that party'. Well, I guessed I should've known that they were in collaboration.

            *           *           *
                  *            *   

"Well, you never mentioned that it was gonna be his party!"

"If I did, would that have changed your mind?" She asked, smiling innocently.

I held her stare for a moment before saying. "No, not at all. And if anything, all it's done is make me really not want to go."

Currently, we were sitting in a café—I also worked there sometimes. It was somewhere the students frequented a lot due to its proximity to campus. 

After our final lectures for that day, we ditched Kendall's squad—Roosevelt, Kyung Mi and Soma—well, they more likely ditched us, anyway.

"Fine. Don't come then. But you'd really be letting him down." She countered, picking at her nails.

I frowned, not liking the direction our conversation was headed. "Are you serious? I don't necessarily care about him or that party. And even if I did, you know the kind of person we're dealing with here so it's gonna end badly for me. I'm probably older anyways..."

She rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time that day. "You are such a prude, Rina. I don't know about your ages but the Gareth I know, can't care less about it. I know that he is all over the place but who knows, you could change him."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, right."

"Or…" She continued. "Just have some fun with him, you know, just a silly little fling...hasn't hurt anyone."

I realized something. "So, you're telling me you've been with Gareth before?"

She stopped and looked me in the eye before abruptly breaking into laughter.

"You crack me up, Rina. And no, eew! Me and Gareth, we keep it professional." She said, still holding her stomach before she raised her smoothie to her lips. "I also heard that he has an apadravya, so, you know, in case you guys hit it off, you'll have a heads up on that one."

"I don't even want to ask how you heard that and I'd advise you to get that thought out of your head 'cause Gareth and I are never happening. Furthermore, my belief condemns that." I said, not only offended but surprised.

She just shrugged her shoulders and continued with her drink. A smile spread across her face. "So, like you still got your v-card huh?"

"No, not anymore." I admitted, a pang of sadness washing over me instantly. She was then going to use my own words against me.