62: High On News

Ro hadn't left my room yet, so I could still make repairs for the damage that I'd caused…right?

“I'm very sorry,” I blurted out, willing to do anything to have that moment behind us. The weight in my chest only seemed to get heavier and heavier.

He was now staring out of the window while I burnt holes into his back with my stare. There was no response to my apology and a long moment of silence stretched out, putting more distance between us than there actually was.

Was he too hurt by my words to hear me? Or he was plainly ignoring me? No, Rowen would never do that—it was beneath him.

Parting my lips, I was about to make another utterance when he finally said something: “I’m different and I've changed and it ticks me off when someone makes even the slightest reference to my past life.

After all, I have every right to be mad about it but it doesn't mean that those references will stop. I can't run away from this: from what I've done, from who I was…can I?”

Suddenly, he turned and covered the distance between us in seconds. I looked up into his pensive silver-grey orbs.

“Ro, I–”

“I'm not mad at you, Stella-Mea, that would be outrageous. In fact, you just made me realize something and for that, I'm grateful,” my fiancé interposed.

There was a buzz from his pockets which I was too shaken to pay any mind to. Ro pressed a kiss onto my forehead before he began towards the door.

“Pack up and get dressed. Our next stop is the estate. I'll be at Trevor's room if you’re looking for me.”

It was only after my fiancé had left that my mind fully processed his utterances. I didn't want to have anything to do with Madam again—I didn't even want to see her and now, we would soon be on the way to that accursed place that I was disgraced out of.

The worst part was that I wasn't in a position to protest right then given the fight Rowen and I almost had. We didn't even fight yet it felt like my heart was being ripped out of my body—who knew what would happen once we really disagreed?

Shaking my head, I dispelled such thoughts. Thinking about disagreements was among the top five things that I shouldn't have on my mind at that moment. So, I diverted my thoughts to a much more light-hearted matter like the clothes I would wear for the dreaded visit.

After exploring my options, I went for something that had the right balance of simple and sophisticated: a navy blue sheath dress with slits at the side which I paired with a long beige jacket.

I made sure to put on my engagement ring as well as my star-shaped emerald necklace. As much as I hated our destination, looking my best was imperative.

Once I was done packing up my bags, I quickly styled my hair and swiped some lip gloss over my lips.

After doing a quick double-take of myself in the mirror, I was about to carry my handbag before I hesitated. The little drama that had just occurred between Rowen and me began to flash before my mind’s eye again, making a lump develop in my throat.

Though he said everything was fine, I still felt a bit out of place. A thought came to me: what if I stayed back in my room till it was time to go and then, while we were in the car together, I could pretend to be very busy with my phone or laptop to avoid any awkwardness that would ensue?

Deep down, I knew that wasn't a good idea and Ro would undoubtedly feel bad if I avoided him and I didn't want to hurt him any more than I already had. That was why I steeled myself then carried my handbag and breezed out of my room.