Chapter 26

Fourteen years later:
Today I'm going to perform an open heart surgery as a first assistant surgeon with the famous cardiothoracic surgeon of our hospital Dr. Zain Khan. After thirteen years of hard work I finally became a cardiothoracic surgeon and I'm working at the same hospital where I completed my MBBS, RMN Medical College and Hospital. Zain is my senior because he did MD in cardiology right after completing MBBS but I didn't get into MD because I wasn't sure which field I should choose so I decided to practice more as an intern till I decide in which field I should go. After one year of practicing I realised that I'm interested in cardiology. So I got into Master's Degree in cardiology fellowship. It took me a total of thirteen years to become a cardiothoracic surgeon. So being a cardiothoracic surgeon we treat conditions in the heart, lungs, and chest. We perform a variety of cardiothoracic surgeries, from minimally invasive to heart transplants.

Right now I'm sitting on a chair in front of Zain in our cabin discussing open heart surgery to repair a patient's heart valve which we are going to perform in half an hour. We both share same cabin because we are partners. We usually perform surgeries together well not always because there's a lot of surgeries which I manage myself with another assistant surgeon.

"Zain, do you think we will be able to repair the valve? The valve is very damaged" I said to Zain.

"I did manage to repair the valve that was this much damaged before, So I think I will be able to do it with this patient's heart too" Zain answered.

After a while I changed into scrubs with scrub cap and mask and headed to the operating room after carefully washing my hand with antimicrobial soap and scrubbing my hands for two minutes never once breaking the orderly patterns then I started to scrub my arms keeping my hand higher than my arms all the time to prevent bacteria laden soap to contaminate my hand.

I entered the operation room keeping my hand above my arms to prevent it from touching anywhere. A nurse came with a surgical gown, gloves and helped me with them. There stood my surgical team except Zain. There stood our team's Anesthesiologist Asher Hussain, our Med school senior and Friend. He became an Anesthesiologist because he was interested in the field. We are lucky enough to work at the same hospital from where we completed our MBBS and internships. We went to different hospitals MD and general surgery residency but after becoming a specialist we got to work at the same hospital. Asher is a good friend of mine till now but the bickering was the same between Zain and him. They sometimes behave like siblings when they fight with each other. At first the reason for their bickering was me but now they seem to bicker over everything. Being professionals they did not bicker in the operation room and not even in the surgeons meetings, there they behave like best of friends but right after completing the surgery or meeting they start their bickering again and being a middle man I had to solve their issues sometimes I become frustrated because of them.

Scrub nurse, and more other nurses were also standing around the bed.

I took my position just when Zain entered and after wearing his surgical gown he took his place in front of me.

After about four hours the surgery was completed and we were able to repair the patient's heart.

When I came out of the operation room I changed to my clothes and headed towards our cabin.

"Zain have you packed your stuff" I asked Zain when I saw him in the cabin.

"Yes almost" he replied "we have to head out at 4 am in the morning," he added.

"Do you have any more scheduled surgery today?" I asked.

"No you also don't have any right?" He replied.

"No I just have to do a round and check on patients then I'm done for today" I said.

"Same... Let's go home together" Zain suggested.

"Yeah that will be awesome since I haven't brought my car today" I replied.

After doing a round through the ward and checking on the patient's condition whether they're feeling good or not. I went to another Cardiothoracic surgeon who is going to attend to my patient while I will not be able to attend hospital for a few days. I gave him the files of my patients and told him that some need to be discharged tomorrow and some the day after tomorrow.

I went to the cabin to meet Zain but he was not there so I packed my stuff and waited for him while scrolling my social media. After a while Zain entered the room and packed his stuff and we headed towards the parking area of the hospital where Zain had parked his car.

After driving for a while Zain dropped me in front of my house. After bidding good-bye he went to his house.

"Assalamualaikum" I said as I entered the living room.

"Walaekum assalam" my mom answered from the couch.

"Go and wash yourself, it's almost dinner time" mom said.

"I have to perform my salah," I replied.

"Alright I'm waiting" mom said.

Then I went to my room, removed my hijab and entered the bathroom without wasting a moment. I started shower , letting the hot water remove all the tiredness.

When I was done showering I put my sweatpants and oversized t-shirt on and did wudu. I wrapped my hair with a namaz scarf and started performing my missing salah.

After having dinner I packed my stuff that was left. I went to bed and it didn't take a moment before I drifted off to sleep.

----------------

A/N: Are you people satisfied with this fourteen years time skip?
After researching a lot I successfully wrote the Medical stuff.

Also guess where are they going?

Some good chapters are coming.

I hope you people will like it. Don't forget to vote and comment.

👇Click👇