Chapter 4: Drastic Changes

After witnessing someone lose their head, it takes Amelia a while to recover due to the fact that she comes out of the situation traumatised. Amelia has quite a few nightmares about what she saw for a couple of years after but Gaius and Helen, as well as Morgana, bring her a lot of comfort. She supposes the one good thing that came out of this situation is that she is able to grow closer to Gaius more than she already had because before there were not many opportunities for Amelia to spend time with him because she was considered too young to spend too much time in his chambers due to all the chemicals and artefacts in there. However, after the execution, he allows her to spend more time with him and tries to teach her about medicine and the like while growing closer and he becomes more like a grandfather to her as the years go by.

Another thing that Amelia has slipped down from her list of priorities is meeting the dragon due to how she was always too young to be left on her own and was constantly watched so Amelia was unable to search for the entrance to where he was kept. But when she was 8, she seizes her chance.

Amelia knows that the Dragon is kept below Camelot and Merlin was able to get to him by going through the Dungeons so she knows she has to start there. Being small is an advantage as this means that people do not notice her much and Amelia is more able to hide so as not to be caught. After sneaking past the Guards located by the stairs, she begins to wander deeper into the Dungeons and right into the depths until she reaches a set of very familiar steps leading into the darkness.

Amelia notices that the gates do not seem to be locked, which she finds very strange. Amelia supposes that Uther did not think anyone would try to go down there and is not worried about the dragon escaping as it is chained up. She decides not to think about it too much and just be thankful she does not have to work out how to open the gates before pushing them open.

At this moment Amelia remembers her fear of the dark and grabs a torch that sat next to the gates out of its handle, which is a bit difficult as she is not very tall and struggles to hold it as well. Amelia then begins the descent. After what she feels was too long, she comes to the end of the stairs and onto what Amelia calls 'Merlin's platform'.

"Hello?" Amelia calls out feeling a bit awkward as it seems she is calling out to no one. "Hellooooo?" Amelia almost calls out for a third time before the flapping of large wings makes her close her mouth.

She watches as the Dragon flies down from above towards the large rock in front of her. Amelia can't believe that he is in front of her; he seems so much larger gliding down to the rock in front of her than he did on screen. Amelia can not help but stare at him with her mouth hanging open.

"Ah, hello young one." Kilgharrah literally booms causing her to snap her mouth shut.

"You know who I am?" Amelia questions hopefully. "Good 'cause I have a few questions," She says while actually putting her hands on her hips, which probably looks quite comical as she is physically 8 years old.

"Of course you do," he chuckles. "You want to know why you are here."

"Well obviously!" Amelia says angrily. "I shouldn't be here! I should be dead!"

"You were reborn into this world for a very important reason." Kilgharrah continues.

"Really and what's that?" Amelia implores.

"To fulfil your destiny." He answers.

"My destiny!" Amelia exclaims. Well, this is a typical fanfic component.

"Yes young one," Kilgharrah says obviously ignoring most of her muttering and exclamations. "You will one day face two paths. One that will lead you to the light and one to the dark."