Chapter 58: Arthur's Bane Part One

A/N: Italics are flashbacks. This is the season of flashbacks. Some episodes will have some to delve into Amelia's experiences over the last few years.

——

Amelia's POV

Amelia watches from a window in a room in the Fortress of Ismere. She sees Morgana enter the grounds in a sleigh being pulled by wolves. Amelia notes the red cloak and Dragon crest sewn on it. Must be the rest of the Camelot patrol. Morgana and her men have been picking them up recently.

After Amelia had been taken by Morgana, she reluctantly joined her sister in a quest to find the young Dragon. Amelia did it out of thankfulness to the Dragon for saving her but also worry. Why was Aithusa wondering on their own without Kiligharrah?

They find Aithusa but the happiness is short lived when at the same time they had learnt that King Sarrum, ruler of Amata, had kidnapped Aithusa. With the threat of Aithusa being harmed, Morgana and Amelia didn't fight when Sarrum took them prisoner. After which ensued the worst two years of Amelia's life.

The Sarrum is cruel and a sadist. Like Uther, he has a hatred for magic but Amelia's experience with him shows that the Sarrum is more extreme, more ruthless and cruel than Uther was even at his worst. He took pleasure in emotionally torturing Amelia and Morgana by torturing Aithusa. He would also put them through physical torture.

When he was not putting them through physical and emotional torture, he would put them in a pit. This had consequences as Aithusa ran out of room to grow and became twisted and crippled, which broke Amelia's heart and made her cry more than when she herself was hurt. It felt like they were buried in a living grave. However, one day the Sarrum became lax in his imprisonment of the three and Amelia, Morgana and Aithusa found the chance to flee from their captivity.

Due to the trauma, she has gone through, Amelia can't bear to leave the only people who understand her. She feels hurt that in all the time she has been gone, she had not heard a word from Anne, Merlin, Gwen, Gaius, and Arthur. Amelia honestly wonders if they have forgotten or given up on her.

In the time after their escape, they meet a Druid called Ruadan. He informs the two sisters of an ancient prophecy regarding Arthur's bane. The plan is to start looking for the Diamair, the key to all knowledge, that is rumoured to be hidden under the Fortress of Ismere.

Amelia has grown severely attached to Morgana during those traumatic years. She's told her sister nearly everything except one. No matter how much she feels towards her friends, she can't quite tell Morgana who Emrys and Tarion really are as she knows what Morgana will do. She knows what's been prophesied, Morgana's doom, but, in a way, she hopes to prevent it. Pained and hurt by her friends' abandonment and fear of Morgana, Amelia agrees to the plan.

For three months Ruadan, Morgana and Amelia, with the help of a pack of magical wolves under Morgana's control, capture men who venture into the Northern Plains and force them to work in the mines under the Castle. They also recruit Saxon bandits who form a small army under their order. Ruadan's daughter Sefa has been implemented as Gwen's, Queen Guinevere's, maid.

Amelia is brought back from her memories to the present when she hears, "Mama?"

Amelia turns to see a little girl, her daughter Ella, who's nearly three years old. Ella rubs her eyes tiredly as she blinks up at her mother.

Amelia smiles at her softly as she walks over to the little girl, the only light in her life. It's a large part of the reason Amelia was so desperate to find Aithusa and to continue to protect the young Dragon as the creature did not only save Amelia's life but the life of her unborn child.