Chapter 36: The Crystal Cave

Amelia's POV

Arthur and Merlin return to Camelot and are in the Council Chambers to report on how they got chased by bandits but managed to escape.

"The bandits probably have a stronghold somewhere in the White Mountains," Arthur reports as he stands in front of his father, who stands in front of his throne. Amelia and Morgana sit in their usual chairs next to it. Merlin, Gwen, and Anne stand off the side of the room. "How we escaped, I'll never know. Although, some credit must go to my servant, Merlin."

Gwen gives Merlin a friendly nudge and Anne gives him a proud smile yet Amelia can see that he doesn't react. There is something wrong with him, she can see it in his eyes, but she dares not to ask until they are out of the room and away from Morgana's prying eyes.

"Dispatch a patrol. I want these men caught and brought to justice." Uther orders.

"Immediately, Father."

Uther, Arthur, and the Court begin to exit with Morgana and Amelia following father and son.

"For a moment, we feared you might miss Lady Morgana's birthday." Uther remarks to his son as they leave the room.

"It'd take more than a bunch of thieves to keep me from such a feast," Arthur says, looking back at the two women. They give big and bright smiles.

"Tomorrow promises to be quite a night." As Uther speaks, Amelia can see Morgana's face drop into a look of hatred.

——

Amelia grabs the warlock's arm later on and drags him into her Chambers, with Anne following, where they can be alone.

"What's happened?" Amelia asks. "And don't say that nothing happened, because I can see it in your eyes."

Merlin sighs as they walk further into Amelia's Chambers to the dining table where they can sit down and talk. "When Arthur and I were in the Valley of the Fallen Kings, I came across a man named Taliesin, though Gaius says he died about three hundred years ago. He took me to a place called the Crystal Cave. Do you remember the Crystal of Neahtid?"

"How can we forget?" Anne remarks. Amelia nods, agreeing.

"Well, the crystals in the Cave were exactly like that one. It showed me the future." Merlin continues. "Morgana is going to kill Uther."

Amelia's eyes widen. "Are you sure, Merlin? Perhaps you saw the images wrong." While she won't be sorry when the man dies, she knows it's too soon.

Merlin shakes his head. "I'm positive. I can't get these visions out of my head. Taliesin told me there was a reason I was brought there at this moment in time. Why? It must mean the events I saw are imminent."

"What did Gaius say?" Anne asks.

Merlin huffs. "Gaius says that I have to be careful, that the Crystals are treacherous." He explains. "What I saw might not happen."

"But what if it does?"

"Exactly."

"You should be careful Merlin. You might accidentally cause things to happen now you're trying to stop it." Amelia warns.

——

The next day Amelia spends the day with Morgana as it's her birthday, and part of it is going riding. Amelia's horse rears as they get ready to go out. Amelia quickly soothes the horse.

"It's alright. It's alright." Amelia murmurs to the creature.

"Ready sister?" Morgana asks from where she stands next to her with her own horse.