Chapter 60: The Death Song of Uther Pendragon

Anne's POV

It's all been a bit too much recently and Anne as found that both she and Merlin aren't really having much alone time together. After finding out about Amelia and the arrival of Mordred, along with Merlin being busy with working for Arthur and Gaius and Anne with helping Gwen (neither of them could quite trust Yrene, Gwen's new maid after what happened with Sefa) as well as them both looking after the children. And Anne really needs it.

Anne had hoped that they could perhaps have the day together today but then Merlin had to go on a hunting trip with Arthur for a couple of days. But when they return, they come with an interesting object.

Arthur hands Gaius an object wrapped in a cloth as Merlin and Anne watch on in the Physician's Chambers. Gaius unwraps it to reveal a small horn made of bone, with metal detailing.

Gaius analyses it. "The Horn of Cathbhadh. When Uther attacked the Isle of the Blessed, the Horn of Cathbhadh was smuggled to safety before the temple fell. It hasn't been heard of since."

"The old woman said it could be used to open a door to the spirit world." Arthur tells them. Anne frowns curiously at him.

"I have seen it with my own eyes. Long before the time of the Great Purge, I took part in such ceremonies." Gaius explains. "Each year at Beltane, the High Priestesses would gather at the Great Stones of Nemeton and summon the spirits of their ancestors. It holds powerful magic." Gaius returns the Horn to Arthur. "You must keep it safe." Gaius looks knowingly at Merlin.

Arthur stares at the Horn in a daze.

"Arthur?" Anne prompts.

Arthur shakes himself out of it. "I'll make sure it goes into the Vault." He quickly leaves the room.

——

Anne and Merlin still couldn't spend some time alone together because it was the anniversary of Arthur becoming King which calls for the usual feast.

The Banquet Hall is full of Knights and various Courtiers as they feast. There is music, talking, and laughing. Arthur sits next to Gwen, at the top of the table, looking pensive and stoic, in contrast to the jovial atmosphere of the feast. Anne knows why he's like this, it's the anniversary of his father dying not long after Arthur's birthday. Honestly, Anne is relieved and she knows Merlin is too. To not be constantly looking over their shoulders, fearing any misstep will reveal who they are is gone. She wishes Amelia was here to enjoy it.

The only one remotely pulling a similar face to Arthur is Percival who is always subdued at events these days. He had long since stopped helping Anne and Merlin with joining in on the secret Camelot protection team. The man has been mourning the loss of his wife ever since Morgana took her but there had always been this hope that she would come back but now the hope is gone. Anne doesn't know what was said, but she knows that Percival had spoken to Amelia at Ismere and had confessed that he had a daughter but had said nothing else.

Anne is relieved to hear that Amelia and Percival's child is alive. She had worried they had been lost after hearing Gwen and Merlin's descriptions of how badly injured Amelia was.

Leon stands. "To the King!" He toasts.

Everyone stands, joining the toast. "The King!"

This brings out a slight smile from Arthur, who waves them away. They all take their seats once more. Anne watches as Arthur says something to Gwen and leaves the feast.

——

Anne lights the final candle on the table. Gwaine and Elyan volunteered to watch the kids for an evening, and even though the last time she had let any of the Knights babysit, Faye was smacking anything and everyone with a wooden sword for days, Anne knows they can at least handle things for one night.