Chapter 13: The Beginning of the End

Amelia's POV

Amelia is in her Chambers with Morgana, Gwen and Anne when Merlin suddenly bursts in.

"Have you forgotten how to knock, Merlin?!" Morgana exclaims in surprise. They all turn to look at him.

"The Guards are after him. I didn't know what to do." It is then that Amelia spots the young boy that Merlin had dragged with him into her Chambers. He looks pale and dazed but also somewhat scared. She feels drawn to him. Like he is familiar. As if she knows him. She does not know if it is because of her memories of the show trying to push through or another reason but that was how she feels all the same. She notices that Morgana has a similar look on her face.

Suddenly knocking on the door and a "My Lady? My Lady?" snaps her and Morgana out of it and she points over to the corner of her Chambers where an alcove is covered by a curtain. "In there." She waits until Merlin and the boy are behind the curtain to open the door.

She sees a Guard she knows called Patrick standing in front of her with others loitering behind him. "I'm sorry to disturb you, My Lady. We're searching for a young Druid boy. We believe he came this way."

"I haven't seen anyone. It's just me, the Lady Morgana and our maids." She says, trying to seem as calm as possible.

"Best keep the door locked till we find him."

"Of course. Thank you." She closes the door and runs to check on the boy along with Morgana, Gwen and Anne. Merlin is crouching on the floor with the unconscious boy in his arms. He lifts his hand to reveal that it is covered in blood and a wound on the boy's arm. They all look at each other in worry.

——

It was not long before Uther announces the execution of the Druid man who had come with the boy.

Amelia sits next to the boy, who lies awake, in the alcove that they had placed him in though he has now been given some blankets. She has been feeling very protective of him and feels the need to be near him. Morgana and Merlin watch from the window to the Square below as the Druid man is waiting to be executed.

She hears Uther begin his speech. "People of Camelot, the man before you is guilty of using enchantments and magic. Under our law, the sentence for this crime is death. We're still searching for his accomplice. Anyone found harbouring the boy is guilty of conspiracy and will be executed as a traitor. Let this serve as a warning to your people."

"You have let your fear of magic turn to hate. I pity you." The Druid man says boldly.

"I can't watch this," Morgana says to Merlin and leaves the window and sits down on the floor, cradling Mordred. Amelia hears the swing of the axe and suddenly she hears the boy yell, "No!", in her mind before her mirror breaks. She sees Merlin flinch so she knows he had heard it and possibly Morgana, who looks at the mirror shaken. She can feel the Druid boy breathing heavily next to her.

——

It is later in the day that Amelia hears a knock at the door.

"I'll get it," Anne says to her and Morgana.

Merlin enters holding a bundle. "How is he?"

"He's sleeping. He's very pale. We worry he may have lost a lot of blood." Anne says, walking back over with Merlin to where Amelia crouches over the boy and Morgana stands behind her.

By this point, Amelia has checked her notes and realised that this boy is actually Mordred. The boy who will grow up to kill Arthur. Her notes said she should still save Mordred as this did not mean for definite that the future where he kills Arthur will happen. Even if it does not, she still feels the need to protect him. She cannot explain it.