Chapter 47: The Wicked Day

Amelia's POV

Amelia had told Gaius, Merlin and Anne what she'd told Percival though doesn't mention the whole other life and notebook etc to them. They had admitted him into the fold so now there's another member of their gang. Percival was amazed and shocked to hear how much they have done for Camelot.

They also inform Percival about Agravaine which leads to Percival arguing to Amelia in private that they need to throw the notes away lest someone like Agravaine got his hands on them. Amelia is happy to agree.

Amelia soon throws herself into planning for Arthur's birthday that's coming up. A huge feast is being held along with dancers, jugglers and acrobats for entertainment. The day arrives and Amelia eagerly watches as the Square becomes a hive of activity. A caravan of colourful carts is being unloaded by acrobats, dancers, jugglers, strong men, and jesters spill into the walls of the Castle.

——

That evening, the Banquet Hall is filled with Knights and Courtiers and all those that are here to celebrate Arthur's birth, tucking into a feast. The entertainment Amelia had secured are wandering around, giving small shows and wowing the entire audience with their talents. Amelia herself sits beside Arthur, the man clapping as he sees an acrobat do a rather complicated twist in the air as they jump.

"Enjoying yourself then?" Amelia smiles at him.

"Yes." He nods, seems he can admit that. "Though... I think I would have liked it more if you had remembered a birthday present for me." Arthur gives her a teasing smile.

"And what do you call this?" She gestures at the entertainment in front of them and the line of food up and down the tables.

"A traditional feast."

Amelia scoffs in offence. "Fine, this isn't all my present to you." She glances towards Uther, who sits on Arthur's other side.

Arthur blinks and looks to where his father is sitting, having actually joined them, the man raising his goblet to his son as he catches his eye. He raises his goblet in return before he turns back to Amelia. "You got my father to agree to come?"

She shrugs. "I merely mentioned the date to him..." She doesn't like the man, borderline hates him, but that doesn't mean she won't try and make this a good day for Arthur.

Arthur raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure you didn't threaten him?"

"I felt it was necessary." Amelia remarks.

Among the performers stands a man, who bows at the end of the act. All eyes focus on him as a hush descends over the Hall.

"I require a volunteer..." The Entertainer steps forward and sets his eyes on Arthur. "Prince Arthur. What better or more fitting occasion for you to demonstrate your legendary bravery?" Arthur's caught out, put on the spot. "Do you accept the challenge?"

Amelia sees the eyes of the Courtiers and Knights awaiting Arthur's decision. Arthur stands and holds his arms wide in a dramatic fashion. "Of course."

Amelia groans internally as there's a round of applause as Arthur makes his way through the Hall. Merlin intercepts Arthur and they have a whispered exchange, likely Merlin trying to talk him out of it but Arthur instead takes off his cloak and jacket, giving them to Merlin, making an excuse to cover the true nature of their exchange. Arthur heads over to the circular board where the Entertainer waits for him. Arthur smiles at the crowd, reassuring and places himself against the board. The Entertainer and a shorter man strap Arthur's ankles and wrists to the restraints on the board.

"Do not fear, my Lord. I never miss my target." The Entertainer reassures.

"Good. Glad to hear it." Arthur replies loudly.