Chapter 54: A Herald of the New Age

Amelia's POV

Arthur, Merlin and the Knights return from a patrol, so Amelia makes her way down to the Armoury to greet them. She passes Arthur on her way and the two of them share a tense but awkward look as they pass each other by. Amelia and Arthur haven't talked except when they have to – and even then, it is short sentences – ever since Arthur banished Gwen.

Percival had argued that because of what happened with Gwen, they should delay their wedding further. For her fiancé, it's mostly because he doesn't want to hurt Arthur with the reminder of his failed wedding so soon afterwards. Amelia had agreed for the reason that she just isn't in the mood currently because of the loss of Gwen.

She enters just as Gwaine tosses Merlin a small bag.

"What's that?" Merlin asks as Amelia walks up to Percival to kiss him.

"Salt. Pour it in a circle at the foot of your bed, helps to protect you from evil spirits." Gwaine explains, deadpan. Amelia frowns. Eh?

"Really? Does that work?"

"Absolutely. And if it doesn't, Gaius can always put it on his supper." Gwaine jokes.

"Very funny." Merlin remarks before walking out of the room. He gives Amelia a nod as he leaves.

"What's going on?" Amelia questions.

Leon shrugs. "Merlin's just being superstitious." He dismisses.

"Why?"

"We found an Old Religion shrine by the Druids. Merlin warned us it was cursed." Percival explains, giving Amelia a knowing look.

A shrine? Amelia remembers Morgause teaching her and Morgana about them. The Druids built shrines to bring rest to tormented souls as they were so badly wronged that they could not find peace in the other world. The ancient rituals were done to heal the ground to try and bring the souls of the victims to rest, but the magic that binds the earth is delicate and is easily undone. Anyone who disturbs a resting place risks releasing the spirit.

Gwaine scoffs. "More like Merlin is getting scared of Gaius' bedtime stories."

"It was strange though." Leon admits.

"What do you mean?" Amelia asks.

"Just to have one so close to Camelot."

Indeed. Amelia doesn't quite understand why her body has been overcome with this chill. There's something in her mind, nagging at forgotten memories as if to try and tell her why this shrine is so important. Her mind suddenly snaps back to an old and forgotten memory.

Amelia has ridden off quite far when she suddenly hears screaming in the distance and the clashing of swords. She knows Arthur was leading his first mission and is worried that he is in some sort of trouble, so Amelia quickly climbs off her horse and rushes towards the noise, a bit stupid she knows, with her dagger in hand.

Though when Amelia arrives, she wishes she hadn't. It appears to be a camp in disarray with everything strewn everywhere. People are running and screaming from men with the Camelot symbol on their clothing. Bodies are also strewn everywhere as well.

As Amelia turns looking at the terror around her, she notices Arthur standing not too far off from her with a horrified look on his face, her own face likely mirroring his own, as he looks from what is happening in front of her.

"I-I don't... I tri—" Arthur stutters. "I tried to! B-but they w-would not listen!" He looks close to tears.

"You have to tell them, Arthur! They are hurting children!" Amelia urges.