Chapter 40: Love in the Time of Dragons

Amelia's POV

Amelia lingers outside the Council Chambers as she listens to what Arthur, Uther, Merlin, and Gaius are talking about. She had been with Merlin and Gaius when Uther had sent for them and was curious as it seemed very serious. Knowing she wouldn't be allowed in, she went to one of the doors to the room and pressed herself against the door to listen in. If Morgana finds her, she can lie and say that she's trying to find information that would be useful to their 'plans'.

"Gaius, there have been disturbing rumours from outlying Villages," Uther says.

"Sire?"

"Someone, some kind of Physician is offering treatments. I fear magic may have been used." Amelia pulls a face at Uther's words, hypocrite. He didn't mind using magic when Morgana was dying, did he?

"What is it that makes you suspicious?" Gaius asks. Amelia shakes off her anger so that she can focus on the conversation.

"There are reports of miracle cures? A boy thrown from a horse, a farmhand mauled by a boar. All hopeless cases it seems, and yet each and everyone has made a full recovery." Uther explains. It does sound suspicious. How dare someone try to help others with magic? (Note the sarcasm.)

"It's very hard for me to comment, Sire. I'd have to examine the patients myself." Gaius evades.

"That won't be necessary," Uther dismisses, "as a new case has arisen here in Camelot."

"Who?"

"The Innkeeper. He's returned to work." Arthur says.

"That's not possible. The condition was critical, I saw him only days ago." Gaius argues.

"So, you agree that magic must be involved?" Uther asks pointedly.

"Well, I couldn't say for sure."

"Then go to the Tavern and find out." Uther orders. "If sorcery is at work here, we must act quickly."

"Yes, Sire. I'll see to it right away."

——

Amelia pulls Anne along with her to Gaius' Chambers to wait for said man and Merlin to return. Amelia had given Anne the rundown of what's going on. Merlin and Gaius eventually return.

"Well? Did you see the Innkeeper?" Amelia immediately questions as soon as they step inside.

Merlin looks at her surprised. "How did you—"

Amelia raises an eyebrow. "You're not the only one that sneaks about."

Anne rolls her eyes. "Anyway, the Innkeeper?"

"Gaius was great, he protected the Innkeeper, lied to Uther," Merlin tells them.

Amelia smiles, pleased. "Really?"

Gaius looks at Merlin confused. "What are you going on about Merlin?"

Merlin looks at him questioningly but continues, "He was a sick man. It was a matter of life and death. Magic was his only hope."

"But he didn't use magic." Gaius dismisses. Amelia's eyes flicker between the two. What's going on?

"The potion was enchanted; I saw it with my own eyes. We both did." Merlin persists.

"What you saw, Merlin, was a release of gaseous pressure. Entirely normal in a preparation of that kind." Gaius counters. Amelia looks to Anne who is frowning at the two. Why is Gaius lying?

"But what about the totem?"

"What totem?"

"The totem in the Innkeeper's doorway bore the marks of the Old Religion," Merlin explains.