Chapter 14: Excalibur

A/N: Warning of brief mention of suicide - no detail

——

Amelia's POV

Amelia can't help but smile brightly as she watches Arthur kneel before Uther at the end of the Hall of Ceremonies. He holds onto a staff that Uther holds in front of him. By this point of the day, night has fallen and she and Morgana are dressed up to the nines standing behind Uther to the right.

"Do you solemnly swear to govern the people of this Kingdom and its dominions according to the statutes, customs and laws laid down by your forebears?" Uther asks him.

"I do, Sire."

"Do you promise to exercise mercy and justice in your deeds and judgments?"

"I do, Sire."

"And do you swear allegiance to Camelot, now and for as long as you shall live?"

"I, Arthur Pendragon, do pledge life and limb to your service and to the protection of the Kingdom and its peoples."

"Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot." Uther places a circlet crown on Arthur's head. The Court applauds and Arthur stands up and faces the crowd. Amelia claps enthusiastically. She almost lets out a sequel but she contains herself and sticks to lightly bouncing on her feet.

Suddenly a Black armoured Knight on a horse bursts through the stained-glass window at the end of the hall. Arthur and the Knights draw their swords. Amelia grips the dagger she carries in one of the pockets of her dress; she had demanded for them as there is no way she is going to be walking around with no pockets. She looks over at Gwen, Merlin and Anne in concern, but they all seem fine just alarmed.

"What in the devil's name?" She hears Uther gasp.

The Black Knight walks down the room between the two long tables to reach the block of Arthur and the Knights and throws down a gauntlet. Arthur sheathes his sword to pick up the gauntlet, but another Knight gets there first.

"I, Sir Owain, accept your challenge."

"Single combat. Noon tomorrow. Till the death." The Black Knight rides out. Amelia can't help but worry. Sir Owain looks so young.

——

"He shouldn't have picked up the gauntlet!" Arthur says angrily. Amelia stands in Morgana's Chambers with said woman, Gwen and Anne while Arthur stands in front of them.

"So put an end to it," Morgana demands.

"The challenge has been taken up. The fight cannot be stopped." He says resigned.

"Then fight in his place."

"I can't."

"Why not?" Amelia demands frustrated.

"Owain picked up the gauntlet. Owain is the one who must fight. That's the Knight's Code. He knew that." Arthur ends his speech quietly and sadly, walking away.

"But it's a fight to the death!" Morgana cries, stopping him.

"I know." He says over his shoulder before leaving.

——

The next morning, Morgana insists that she sends a ribbon to Sir Owain for luck, however, while he had accepted it, he had said that he did not need luck. Amelia could not help but scoff at the statement. These men can be so cocky sometimes.

Merlin had told her that Gaius had said that he did not know who the Knight is but had seemed shifty. Amelia knows that if Gaius pretends that he does not know something, it is likely he actually does. Her notes told her that Ygraine's dead brother returns and kills a few Knights before getting to Uther. She can only assume this is him though she does not know how he is stopped. She feels very annoyed at her past self.