Chapter 17: To Kill the King

Amelia's POV

Morgana rushes into Amelia's Chambers during the night waking Amelia.

"Amelia! Amelia! Come quickly!" She cries.

"Morgana? Breathe! What is it?" Amelia asks calmly, trying to calm her down.

"Gwen's father has been arrested!" Morgana cries.

"What for?" Amelia asks but Morgana shakes her head, indicating that she does not know. "Let's go to Uther."

The two of them rush to where Uther and Arthur have convened in Uther's Chambers still only in their nightgowns. Both only finding time to grab a shawl to wear over top.

——

"Treason?!" Morgana cries once they are told what Gwen's father had been arrested for.

"Yes, Morgana, treason. The Blacksmith was consorting with a known enemy." Uther says, taking a sip of his drink in his hand.

"Enemy? What enemy?" Amelia questions.

"Tauren," Arthur says from behind her. Amelia and Morgana turn to look at Arthur who is leaning on a table. "The leader of a band of renegade sorcerers sworn to bring down the King."

"And where is this Tauren now?" Morgana asks.

"He escaped," Arthur says looking down.

"Well, then how can you be sure?" Morgana asks, walking over to him. Amelia follows.

"Because Arthur saw him with his own eyes," Uther says, now walking around the table drinking from his goblet.

"Well, even if the man is who you say he is, you can't sentence Tom to death for just being seen with him!" Amelia declares.

"We have reason to believe he was forging weapons for Tauren," Uther says, now standing on the opposite side of the table to her and Morgana.

"Rubbish! He would never do such a thing." Morgana says strongly.

"Every man has a price," Uther says.

Arthur slides the lump of gold across the table. "Found this on the Blacksmith."

"So he was paid! He's a Blacksmith. He could've been paid for shoeing Tauren's horse!" Morgana says.

"In gold?" Uther says doubtfully.

"This is madness! You condemn a man with no proof!" Amelia says.

"I have enough proof," Uther says, walking away.

Morgana turns to Arthur. "Arthur! Have you nothing to say?"

Arthur looks down for a moment before speaking, "Father, the Blacksmith committed a crime, but we don't know for certain he meant treason."

Uther nods as if agreeing. "No. You're right. Nothing's certain. Save one thing. The law stands or this Kingdom falls."

"But the law must give him a fair trial!" Amelia says.

"He'll get a fair trial, and he'll be found guilty, 'cause that's what he is." Well, he's doomed.

"You execute Gwen's father, and I will never forgive you," Morgana says then begins walking out of the room. "Never."

Amelia immediately follows throwing a glare in Uther's direction before leaving.

——

Anne's POV

Anne waits with Merlin and Gaius in the Dungeons while Gwen speaks with her father. After a few minutes, Gwen emerges from her father's Cell.