Chapter 49: His Father's Son

Amelia's POV

They had heard rumours that King Caerleon had seized land that rightfully belongs to Camelot and that there is a small band of his men that are stationed on the land. Arthur had amassed the Knights and their uncle and is going to go confront the men in an effort to reclaim the territory. He'd asked Amelia to come along, to help with negotiations and the battle.

Amelia winces as she watches Merlin, dressed as a Knight, trip over onto the ground then an axe land between his legs. Merlin had offered to act as bait to lure the band of men to the right spot. Amelia really hopes that Merlin doesn't get himself killed in the process or Anne will kill her.

Merlin picks up the axe and runs on straight into the dead end, just as they had planned. Everyone waits just out of sight above the ditch Merlin and his pursuers are in. Merlin turns to face his pursuers, who are now strolling in to meet him and raises the throwing axe.

"Trapped, are we?" The leader of the men remarks smugly

An arrow hits one of the men in the back. Merlin's pursuers look up to find themselves surrounded by Arthur, Amelia, Agravaine and the Knights of Camelot.

Merlin smiles. "That's the idea."

"On me!" Arthur yells.

They all follow, jumping and climbing down to engage the enemy. After the battle, they collect the prisoners and make their way back to their camp. Amelia grimaces as she wipes some blood from her face as she walks along beside Arthur.

"Your Majesty." Agravaine calls out causing them to turn to see him dragging along the leader of the prisoners. "Look what we have here."

"He comes with us. We'll deal with the prisoners when we get back to Camelot." Arthur orders.

"I fear this is no ordinary prisoner, Your Highness." Agravaine pushes the man to the ground and rips the necklace from his neck and hands it to Arthur. Amelia leans around him to have a look and her eyes widen in realisation when she sees what it is.

"Well, well." Arthur murmurs.

"What is it?" Merlin asks.

"This, Merlin, is the royal crest of Caerleon." Amelia tells him.

"Is it not... Your Highness?" Arthur remarks pointedly to their prisoner, King Caerleon.

——

Amelia isn't entirely sure why they're still keeping King Caerleon as a prisoner, that isn't the respect a King deserved since he is a King of a land on the brink of war with Camelot. She feels it should be obvious that they treat him with a bit more care so as not to spur him into more war. Agravaine seems to think differently and has locked him away with the other prisoners under the watch of a few Knights.

"I still think it was a foolish move," Amelia remarks as she gathers in Arthur's tent that night, Merlin standing beside her, Arthur pacing and Agravaine standing with his hand on his sword, watching. "It's not going to help relations to treat the person commanding the armies like that."

"This is not the first time he's trespassed on our lands." Arthur argues.

"No, sire." Agravaine agrees immediately, making Amelia roll her eyes, already feeling a manipulation coming. "Only last week he seized the Village of Stonedown on the western borders."

"We're not on the borders now, Agravaine." Arthur points out. "This is the heart of the Kingdom. He took a grave risk coming here."

"Perhaps he doesn't see it that way. I fear it's no coincidence that all this has happened since Uther's death." Agravaine remarks.