Chapter 39: The Eye of the Phoenix

Amelia's POV

Amelia and Gwen find Anne and Merlin in the Antechamber to the side of the Throne room, peeking their heads through the doors.

They come up behind them and the four of them watch Arthur, in a white ceremonial robe, kneel in the Throne room.

"What's he actually doing?" Gwen whispers.

"Thinking," Anne replies.

"About?"

Amelia can imagine the sly look on Merlin's face as he replies, "You."

Gwen hits him and Amelia snorts.

"Shhh." Merlin hisses as he closes the door while the others snigger.

Merlin turns to Amelia and Gwen once the door is closed. "He has to decide upon a quest."

"Wait is this the one where he has to 'transcend' his body so he gets a vision of the quest?" Amelia pulls a face as she speaks.

Gwen looks at her confused. "How's crouching on his knees all night going to help?"

"Somehow it does," Anne mutters.

"And both of you are going to stay here and watch him?" Gwen asks looking amused.

"Gwen, this is one of the most important days in a prince's life." Merlin retorts.

"Oh." Gwen presses her lips together so as not to laugh while Amelia doesn't bother at all.

——

Amelia tries to hold in her laugh when she finds Anne and Merlin asleep on the floor the next morning as she follows Uther and the Council down the steps and into the Throne room, which causes the couple to wake.

Uther touches Arthur's shoulder, startling him out of the trance. "It is time." He declares. Arthur stands and turns to them. "What is the quest you have chosen?"

"I can see but one path, sire. I am to enter the realm of the Fisher King and find the golden trident spoken of in the legends of The Fallen Kings." Arthur announces.

"You do understand that if you are to prove yourself worthy of the throne, you must complete this task alone and unaided," Uther asks.

"I do."

——

Gaius warns them that the Perilous Lands is not somewhere people return from. Legends says that despite the Fisher King being wounded in battle, some believe the Fisher King's still alive, kept from death by his magic.

Amelia, Anne, Gwen, and Morgana shop in the Market in the Lower Town. They are observing the fabrics at one stall when an old woman suddenly grabs Amelia's arm causing her to startle. Morgana turns to her in worry.

"Please, please, just spare me a few minutes of your time, Sisters." Morgause. Amelia reluctantly nods and she and Morgana go with her.

"My Ladies?" Gwen calls out in concern. Anne sends Amelia a look, a look that says 'is this a double agent situation?" Amelia gives her a nod and Anne relaxes.

"It's alright, Gwen. We won't be a moment." Morgana replies calmly.

The three sisters slip round the corner and hide in a secluded corner. Amelia already feels dread before Morgause opens her mouth, she can already imagine what her older half sister will ask of her.

"We must be quick, Sisters. This enchantment will not hold for long." Morgause urgently tells them. "Tell me, what has Arthur chosen as his quest?"

"He sets out tomorrow for the Perilous Lands." Morgana diligently reports.