Chapter 10: Lancelot

Amelia's POV

Amelia is still mostly on bed rest. No one will let her out of their sight. Uther gave orders for Guards to go around with her all the time, which she finds very annoying. Even more irritating is that Merlin, who was poisoned and practically died for a couple of seconds before the antidote worked, is told he must go and start work again as soon as he is able to stand. She is able to rest more, which is stupid as it is not like once she is up and about she will be doing any strenuous work. Society is stupid.

Soon rumours begin spreading of a creature with wings taking people from Villages. She finds out about it when Arthur and Uther come back from seeing the damage it had done to a Village.

"Arthur?" She calls from the top of the stairs leading to the Castle when she sees both of them dismount from their horses. She had escaped her watchers to have some time on her own but her curiosity got the better of her when she saw Uther and Arthur returning. "Where were the two of you?"

"Amelia! You should not be up." Uther chastises her.

"I'm not going to break at a slight amount of exercise. It is not healthy to sit about all day." Amelia reprimands. Uther acts like he hasn't heard her and walks past her and into the Castle leaving just Amelia and Arthur.

Arthur rolls his eyes and walks up the steps towards her. "Here. I'll take you back to your Chambers."

"Fine." She resigns and lets him guide her. "But where were you? Uther looks worried and so do you."

He sighs as he walks next to her, "A Village has been attacked by a winged beast that seems to have a taste for human flesh." At her horrified look, he says, "Do not worry, we are putting up sentries in all the outlying Villages and lookouts are on full alert. We will be ready for it if it arrives. Do not tell anyone yet."

Having got the jist that Arthur has closed the conversation, Amelia lets him take her to her Chambers and drop her off.

——

Later on, after having snuck out of her Chambers again, Amelia catches Merlin slipping into the Hall of Records so she follows and sees him search for a book then taking one. "Merlin?" She whispers. He jumps. "What are you doing?"

"Er... n-nothing?" What probably is intended as a statement comes out as a question. Amelia shakes her head and just watches him as he glances over his shoulder to Geoffrey of Monmouth who is watching him. "Homework." He says. Merlin opens the book, smiles down and closes it immediately. A cloud of dust rises and he sneezes. Amelia laughs at his face.

"You are planning something." She whispers to him.

"Maybe. You going to help?" He asks.

"I do not particularly like how you are trying to get me involved before I even know what this is about."

"Trust me." Merlin sits down then opens the book to a page of Northumbrian nobility and pulls out a piece of parchment. She frowns wondering what he was intending to do with a book about nobility. "Ic us bisen hræd tán hwanon." He chants. Amelia quickly glances over to Geoffrey in panic, hoping he is not listening but it seems he isn't. Merlin pulls out the piece of parchment, which seems to have copied the other.

Amelia hadn't noticed that Geoffrey had wandered over till she hears him clear his throat. Merlin quickly turns and hands Geoffrey the book. "It's a... real page turner." Before the both of them depart, leaving behind a confused Geoffrey.

——

On the way to Gaius' Chambers, Merlin explains the situation to Amelia. Apparently, a man, called Lancelot, had saved his life from the winged beast and the man really wants to become a Knight but he cannot do that as he is not a member of the nobility. So Merlin is determined to help him.