Chapter 50: A Servant of Two Masters

A/N: Chapter 50 🎉🎉🎉

Thank you to everyone that has voted on chapters, commented and added this story to their reading lists.

——

Amelia's POV

Merlin, Arthur, Gwaine, Leon, and Percival had headed off the day before. They'd gone off on a simple journey, to inspect the defences along a certain area of the borders of the Kingdom. Arthur had reassured Amelia, Gwen and Anne, especially when Anne had wanted to go, that it was safe, and had brought up how the path they'd take is known only to them and not their enemies.

But that was yesterday and the group still has not returned. Anne had become increasingly distressed about where her husband is and is growing frustrated with the number of times everyone tells her to calm down for the sake of the baby. Amelia has avoided this as she knows there's no point and wants to avoid Anne's ire.

Instead, Amelia has resorted to pacing back and forth in the Council Chambers as a Council meeting going on behind her and not paying attention to them. The Council had been sympathetic while Agravaine had suspiciously been elsewhere since yesterday and only appears not long before the Council meeting in a hurry.

——

Merlin's POV

Merlin jolts awake when what feels like water is doused on him. He opens his eyes and quickly takes in his surroundings to find he's in some sort of Hovel, hanging from the ceiling by his wrists and Morgana standing in front of him. This isn't good.

"Good morning." The High Priestess greets smugly.

"Is it?" Merlin scoffs.

Morgana pouts as if she's hurt by his attitude. "Oh, don't be like that." She remarks mockingly. "We have a lot of catching up to do. After all, I haven't seen you since you condemned my sister to a slow and painful death, thwarted my plans to take over Camelot and turned my other sister away from me." She pauses and smirks. "Though perhaps not for long."

Merlin frowns, wondering what she means, but he dismisses it, for now, to focus on more pressing matters. Matters such as being Morgana's prisoner. "Couldn't do me a favour, could you? Let Arthur know he still thinks of me as an underachiever, but I'm quite proud of those accomplishments. I can die happy."

"Oh, you're not going to die. Oh, no. I'm not going to make it that easy." Morgana smirks at him before walking away, leaving Merlin frozen, fearful of what she's going to do.

——

Amelia's POV

Amelia is relieved when Arthur and the Knights soon return but that relief is taken away when, gathered in the Council Chambers with them, Gwen and the Council, they inform her that Merlin has been taken.

They had entered the Valley of the Fallen Kings when the group had been attacked by a large band of armed men. Merlin had become injured then he and Arthur had been separated from the Knights as they all hid out in the forest as the mercenaries continued to pursue them.

Arthur had become separated from the injured Merlin when, as Arthur had been fighting more mercenaries in a crevice, boulders fell into the crevice, cutting off the mercenaries from Arthur as well as Merlin.

Amelia immediately knows that Merlin had been the cause of the rock fall and had sacrificed himself so that Arthur could escape. Anne is going to give him a smack for that.

After this had all been explained, Anne and Gaius enter. Amelia looks on anxiously at her maid. Anne's stomach has been getting bigger and bigger every day and is now visible to everyone. It's not long before they'll have to get started on maternity dresses.