Chapter 38: The Castle of Fyrien

Amelia's POV

Now that Morgana and Morgause know of Morgana's true father, the plans have now changed from simply destroying Camelot to making sure Morgana is Uther's only heir. Plotting to kill Uther is one thing, but Arthur? Amelia can't stomach the thought.

The new plan is to lure Arthur away using his weakness, Gwen. Morgana had gleefully told Morgause, and Amelia, all about it to which Morgause declared this information very useful.

The new plan is to get Gwen to lure Arthur to Cenred's Castle. But Morgause had wondered how they would be able to achieve that to which Morgana suggests Elyan, Gwen's brother, and Amelia reluctantly gives up the information of where he is.

Amelia is anxious the night the plan is enacted. Gwen is to be kidnapped and told to bring Arthur to Cenred or risk her brother harm before being released. Amelia hates this but she doesn't stop it as her sisters will know it's her that did it and they'll then know of her double agent status, which won't be good news for anyone. Amelia tells herself that as soon as Gwen is taken, she'll tell Merlin and Anne.

——

The next morning, Amelia eats her breakfast groggily as she sits at the table in the Council Chambers with Uther and Arthur with Anne and Merlin serving. Morgana enters looking anxious though Amelia knows it's an act.

"The building works in the Lower Town have been delayed. I want you to ensure it does not happen again." Uther is saying.

"I'll see to it," Arthur says to his father.

"Good morning, Morgana." Uther greets his daughter as she takes her seat on Amelia's left. Merlin moves to pour Morgana's drink, but she places her hand over the cup.

"No, thank you." She speaks.

"Anything the matter?" Uther asks.

Morgana swallows and looks down sombrely. Amelia tries not to frown at her. "It's Gwen. She didn't turn up for work this morning."

"She didn't?" Amelia 'asks'.

"No."

"That's not like her," Arthur comments though Amelia can see he is worried. Amelia is worried herself though she knows Cenred will be sending Gwen back unharmed for the plan to go ahead.

"I know, it's strange. I hope nothing's wrong." Morgana says.

"You needn't worry, Morgana." Uther puts his hand on Morgana's. "After all, if your maid can no longer be relied upon, we can easily replace her."

"Gwen is our friend," Amelia says tightly. She knows it is safe for her to say this as Morgana will think it's all part of their plan.

Arthur looks displeased as well. "I'm sure she will turn up soon enough."

"I'm sure," Morgana says with a smile. When no one is looking but Amelia, a dark look passes over her face.

——

After breakfast, Amelia immediately meets up with Merlin and Anne in her Chambers.

"Gwen did not just disappear." She tells them. "Morgana and I have been feeding Morgause information to give to Cenred about Gwen. The plan is to blackmail Gwen into luring Arthur to Cenred and Morgause."

"So, Gwen will be released soon?" Anne asks.

Amelia nods. "Yes. I wish I could have stopped it but then Morgana and Morgause would know."

"Do you know where she is?" Merlin asks.

Amelia shakes her head. "That is the only thing. I don't. I'm sorry."