Chapter 55: The Hunter's Heart

A/N: Thank you to everyone that has voted on chapters, commented and added this story to their reading lists.

——

Amelia's POV

"You've agreed to what?!" Amelia splutters as she stares at Arthur agape. She had been forcibly led to Arthur's Chambers after being told the King wants to see her. She had hoped it was going to be a quick session of Arthur pleading for her forgiveness, again she wouldn't give it then she would leave but Amelia hadn't expected this.

"Marriage. It is not that big of a deal." Arthur rebuffs. "What's important is that the lands of Gedref will no longer be in dispute between us and Nemeth."

"Not that big of a deal?!" Amelia retorts. "Marriage isn't something that should be treated casually! And what about—"

Arthur feigns ignorance but is clearly angry and upset. "What?" Amelia doesn't reply, staring at him in silence. "You mean Guinevere. I told you not to mention her name again."

"I'm trying to have a logical conversation with you which is why I didn't." Amelia replies testily. "But can you really do this to her?"

Arthur's face morphs into anger. "How many times do I have to tell you? Guinevere made her choice. She betrayed me. Now she must take the consequences."

"But—"

A knock echoes and Arthur voices his acceptance for them to come in. The doors open and Agravaine saunters in. Great. "My Lord?"

Arthur sends their treacherous uncle a tense smile. "Uncle, I was just telling Amelia the news before I announce it to the Court later."

What?! Amelia's head snaps to Arthur, who has the decency to look down, ashamed. "You're announcing it today and you're only just telling me?!"

"It was confidential, we couldn't tell—" Agravaine pipes up.

"I wasn't talking to you, Agravaine." Amelia snaps, sending a dark look to her uncle over her shoulder. She turns back to Arthur. "Why the negotiations? Why now?"

Before Arthur can reply, Agravaine cuts in, "We were, at best, in a tense friendship with them. We now have an opening for a more solid friendship between the two realms so this danger will not exist, and they will be one of Camelot's firmest allies and..."

"I am good friends with the Princess of Nemeth." Amelia cuts in, rather enjoying how Agravaine's lips purse at that. She faintly remembered knowing Mithian after Nimueh's attack, Morgana and Anne had provided more solid recollections of the Princess, who's been very understanding when Amelia last visited before she got kidnapped by Morgause, and Morgana had been corrupted, she had filled Amelia in on a lot of other details.

Amelia shakes her thoughts away. "For many years I, along with my sister, travelled there frequently. I don't believe it's a tense friendship if Uther was willing to allow his ward and daughter, with only a handful of Guards, to attend celebrations in the Kingdom."

"Yes, well, the friendship now has a chance to be a solid alliance—"

"And marriage seems the only way." Amelia interrupts again, looking up at him with a frown.

"Exactly." Agravaine smiles, Amelia can see it's strained. "It can be argued that the King and Princess Mithian are a good match, politically speaking." He adds that last part quickly when Amelia narrows her eyes at him.

"How can I be expected to believe you understand the relations that Camelot has with its neighbouring Kingdoms?" Amelia questions taking Agravaine by surprise.