Chapter 25: The Witchfinder

Anne's POV

Anne had not very reluctantly agreed to join Merlin in the woods collecting firewood in the forest. She cannot help but want to spend time with him despite nothing seeming to happen between them. Though she cannot be imagining things as she remembers Amelia smirking at her when she asked if she could go to the forest to help Merlin.

Why Anne I never knew you were so interested in firewood.

It is not her typical job as, unlike Arthur, Amelia does not make her do any of the more menial jobs if she does not have to.

Anne is clearly too caught up in her thoughts as she turns and notices that Merlin is no longer behind her. She frowns. Where could he have gone?

Suddenly a woman, Cathryn, collides with her. "Oooff!" Anne exclaims.

"Oh, Anne, thank goodness!" Cathryn cries. "We need to see the King!"

She begins pulling her arm but Anne stops her. "Wait, Cathryn! Cathryn! What is it? What is wrong?"

"The smoke! The smoke was alive, I tell you." Anne feels a sinking feeling in her stomach. "It took the shape of a running horse! There's sorcery here! We must tell the King!"

Anne looks behind her to see a distraught Merlin as well as others who had been in the forest gathering around them. She realises there is no use in trying to keep this quiet and lets Cathryn drag her to the King.

——

They are in the Throne room, in front of the Court. Arthur leans on the back of the chair from behind, Uther standing in front of his throne and Morgana and Amelia sitting on his left.

Anne is forced to stand by Cathryn due to the woman's relentless begging, so she stands there in the centre of the room as Cathryn explains what she saw.

"It was sorcery you saw, and you're certain of it?" Uther more demands than questions.

"Yes, Sire." 

Anne sees Amelia is looking at her in concern but she is too panicked to take any comfort from Amelia's empathy. Anne can only think of what Merlin and Gaius' faces look like at this time as they stand behind her.

"And you swear this before your King?"

"I swear it."

"Perhaps your eyes deceived you, a trick of the light," Arthur suggests.

"The smoke was alive, I tell you. I feared for my life." Cathryn insists.

"I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your loyalty will not go unrewarded." Uther says.

"Thank you, Sire." 

A Knight escorts her out. Anne takes the opportunity to dart to Gwen's side, who holds her hand comfortingly, not knowing the true reason for Anne's panic.

"It cannot continue." Uther states.

"I will hunt down those responsible, Father. I promise they will not escape unpunished." Arthur says.

"No. Stronger methods are called for. Send for the Witchfinder." Courtiers gasp. Anne sees Amelia frowning as if trying to think about or remember something while Morgana looks terrified. Who is the Witchfinder? It does not sound good.

"Sire, is it necessary to resort to such measures?" Gaius asks.

"The Witchfinder is a trusted ally, Gaius. His help will be invaluable."

"Of course," Gaius says though he does not look happy.

——

Amelia's POV