Chapter 37: The Changeling

Amelia's POV

Amelia and Anne stand next to the Dias in the Throne room with Morgana and Gwen next to them. Arthur and Merlin make their way through the room nodding at those who bow as Arthur approaches the Dais where his father is waiting.

"Arthur. It is an exciting day." Uther greets. Amelia and Anne are within hearing distance of the two and can hear what's being said.

"The arrival of Lord Godwyn is always a cause for celebration." Arthur nods.

"And Princess Elena," Uther adds. Amelia shares a look with Anne. The two of them seem to be getting an idea of what Uther is implying.

Arthur nods hesitantly. "Yes."

"I hear she's something of a beauty." Uther states. Amelia rolls her eyes knowing all this will be a lost cause.

"Really?" Arthur nods sarcastically.

"Oh, yes. Beautiful, charming, witty. Strategic."

Arthur frowns. "Strategic?"

"I have always thought so. W-we have always thought so." Uther stutters out. "That is, Lord Godwyn and myself. That is, he finds you strategic, not Princess Elena."

Arthur turns to look at his father, frowning in disbelief. "He finds me strategic?" Amelia lets out a slight laugh causing Anne to nudge her to be quiet and Morgana and Gwen look at her confused.

"Oh, yes."

"And beautiful?" Arthur guesses and Uther looks at him confused. Amelia splutters.

The Throne room doors open and Lord Godwyn, Princess Elena, and a small toddling woman enter.

"Father, what are you trying to say?" Arthur presses on as the trio walk toward them.

"Lord Godwyn is a serious ally. The strength of such a match cannot be underestimated." Amelia's eyes widen at the statement before trying to rearrange her expression.

"Please tell me you mean a jousting match." Arthur pleads.

"I mean a love match."

"Love?!" Arthur gapes at him.

"Not love. Love has nothing to do with it, but the other bit. You know, a permanent union." Uther says. Amelia frowns, this doesn't help with her hopes of Arthur and Gwen coming together.

"Marriage?!" Arthur hisses.

"I knew you would understand." Uther emitters before crying out, "Godwyn!" He and Godwyn hug happily. Arthur splutters after his father before his frantic expression turns to Amelia, who shrugs helplessly.

"Oh, it's been too long." Godwyn greets.

Uther turns to the man's daughter. "Princess Elena, you are most welcome."

Elena walks forward with an awkward smile and falls flat on her face. Amelia, Merlin, Anne and Arthur look down in surprise as the Court gasps.

——

Amelia walks down the Phoenix Corridor with Arthur and Gwen, followed by Merlin with the bags.

"You put them in the best Guest Chambers?" Arthur anxiously asks.

"Everything's arranged," Gwen reassures.

"Princess Elena can't fail to be impressed, Arthur," Amelia adds.

Arthur turns to Merlin. "And Merlin, it would be good if the bags were to arrive before they did." Merlin huffs and pushes past, knocking the bags into Arthur's stomach. Amelia winces sympathetically.