Chapter 31: The Last Dragonlord

A/N: sorry this chapter took a bit longer, I had a brief bit of lack of motivation to write but here it is and then season 3!!!

——

Anne's POV

Anne hasn't had time to think about the loss of Amelia. She does not like describing it as a loss as it implies that Amelia had died and she has not. Merlin had freed the Dragon, holding up to his promise, but the Dragon, upset with what Uther had done to him, proceeded to attack Camelot in revenge. Despite only going through the attacks by the Dragon a couple of nights so far, Anne feels it has been much longer than this.

She can hear the people in the Square screaming as she works with Gaius and Gwen in the Infirmary that they had set up. They are overwhelmed by the injured and Anne can see that the people are mentally, as well as physically exhausted, from the attacks.

"I don't think people can suffer a third night of this." Anne hears Gwen say as she passes with a bowl of water.

"We must trust in Arthur," Anne replies. And Merlin, she adds in her head.

"I do," Gwen argues. "But even he has little chance."

Anne does not know what to say to her.

——

"We have no clean water left," Anne notes to Gaius and Gwen after checking their supply.

"I know, but it's too dangerous to go out there," Gaius replies. Gwen heads for the door anyway.

"Gwen! Don't!" Gaius yells.

"I'll go after her," Anne says and runs after Gwen. She cannot leave Gwen out there on her own. She thinks she hears Gaius yell after her.

She catches up with Gwen and the two of them take a bucket each to the well in the Square, stepping over the rubble while everyone else flees. Anne looks up fearfully as she sees the Dragon flying overhead. They begin to draw from the well.

"Guinevere! Anne!" Anne hears Arthur yell over the noise. She and Gwen turn and see the Dragon heading in for another attack in their direction. They run with Arthur running just behind. The Dragon swoops and catches Arthur, who cries out in pain, causing them to fall. Arthur grabs Gwen's hand and they run for cover but Anne lingers knowing that where Arthur is, Merlin cannot be far behind. Merlin jogs out into the Square and Anne sighs in relief at the sight of him.

"Flēogé! Gar!" Merlin chants and throws a magical spear at the Dragon. It glances off the Dragon. Anne's hopes dash at the lack of injury that has done.

"Do not imagine that your petty magic can harm me!" The Dragon growls and then flies off.

"Why are you doing this?! You're killing innocent people!" Merlin yells after him.

"Merlin!" Anne yells. He looks at her and she gestures for him to follow her inside.

——

Anne and Merlin approach Gaius. Anne spots Gwen and Arthur gazing at one another and smiles to herself.

"Are either of you hurt?" Gaius asks them. Anne shakes her head.

"There's nothing I can do. My magic is no good. It doesn't work." Merlin tells him quietly.

"Which means I'm no help either," Anne adds irritably.

"Dragons aren't monsters. They're creatures of wonder and magic." Gaius explains. "You must realise that they're immune to your powers."

Anne shakes her head. What are they going to do?