Chapter 65: The Hallow Queen

A/N:

Italics = flashbacks

TW: There's mention of/reference to physical violence and attempted forced abortion.

——

Anne's POV

Merlin is quite late so when he eventually comes into their Chambers, Anne goes from worried to annoyed to damn her husband has some nice arms when his sleeves are rolled up.

Anne, really not the time!

"Merlin, where've you been?" Anne questions walking over to him. "I've been waiting. It's late."

Merlin sighs, using his hands to stroke her upper arms, calming her. "I know, I'm sorry. It's just..."

"Just what?"

"So Gwen asked for a bath—"

Anne interrupts snippily, "Which non-enchanted Gwen would never have done to you as she would have been considerate of how late it was and that you have a wife who—"

"Anyway, a boy, Daegal, he came to me, asked for my help." Merlin explains.

"Your help? In the middle of the night?" Anne questions, suspicious.

"It's his sister. She's sick."

"Well, bring her to Gaius." Anne retorts, crossing her arms, knocking Merlin's hands off her.

"Too dangerous."

"How?"

"They're Druids."

Oh.

"Still, Merlin. You don't even know who this boy is." Anne continues to argue.

"He's a Druid. What else is there to know?"

"He broke into the Castle like a thief." She doesn't know why she's continuing to argue against this but something is niggling at the back of her mind, telling her something is wrong.

"How else was he going to reach me?" Merlin retorts. "His sister is six. She has the sweating sickness. I can't let her die."

Anne sighs. Great, it's a child that's ill. "Where is she?"

"Valley of the Fallen Kings." Merlin winces.

"Merlin!" Anne cries, aghast. "That's more than half a day away. You can't—"

"I've already promised him I'd meet him at the entrance to the Darkling woods at first light. I can't go back on it now." Merlin says almost pleadingly, begging for her to understand.

Anne decides at that moment. "Not just you."

"W-what?" Merlin splutters. "No, Anne..."

"I'm not letting you go alone to the Valley of the Fallen Kings on your own. It's full of of murderers, cutthroats." Anne retorts. "Let's just hope Arthur doesn't notice."

Merlin scoffs. "Sarrum of Amata is arriving tomorrow. Arthur'll be too busy to notice where we are."

Sure...

——

Morning finds Anne and Merlin walking right through the front gate unnoticed, carrying supplies and food for the journey. Anne wearing her own black leggings and grey shirt and metal belt, it is her travelling clothes.

"Sorry we're late." Merlin calls as they near the woods and spots a young boy there.

"You must be Daegal." Anne greets him, taking his hand. "I'm Anne."