Chapter 7: Valiant

A/N: Considering lockdown, I feel like I should've updated this story more than I have.

——

Amelia's POV

Sometimes this life is a struggle. It's nothing to do with the lack of modern day necessities that Amelia had grown used to from living in the 21st century. Well not exactly. Her key struggle is the fact that she's left handed. This is a struggle in this world as there are no ballpoint pens but she has to write by using a pot of ink. This is a problem as when she writes from left to right, her hand goes over what she's previously written leaving inky hands as well as smudged writing. Adding to the fact that Amelia quite likes being able to lean her hand on what she's writing upon, which is now not possible. She hears you ask why does she not learn with her right hand the second time round. New body, maybe new writing hand. But no. This body is as left handed as her last one.

This torment is going through Amelia's head one morning as she glances upon her book of parchment that she uses as a diary, remembering how as soon as she knew how to write with ink and given something to write on, she began to write down things she remembered about the episodes and the characters to make sure she had something to refer to further down the line. However, her notes, she now often realises, are not detailed enough nor had she written in full sentences assuming future her would understand but it is becoming increasingly difficult.

Amelia can see that now the first episode is out the way, it is now for the second episode of series 1, Valiant. Or is it Valient?...no it is definitely Valiant. Anyway, she does not know how long after the last episode does the next occur.

——

It is not too long later did Amelia realise that the day of the tournament has arrived where all of the Knights of the realm come to fight to supposedly prove their bravery and skills but there are probably those, like Valiant, who have come because of one thing: greed.

The day before, Merlin came rushing to her, asking for help on the different parts of the armour as he had no idea what did what and he had to dress Arthur for the tournament tomorrow, which meant he was in a state of panic. Amelia honestly doesn't know why Uther hired Merlin as a manservant for his son without checking whether he is actually trained to do the job. But Amelia took him to the expert, who was Gwen as Amelia thought she would provide the most help as the armour Amelia has previously worn has been quite different to Arthur's. This led her to witnessing one of the most adorable scenes in the show:

Merlin stands in the middle of Gwen's house dressed in armour looking quite funny with Gwen explaining the names of each part of the armour and where they went.

"So, you've got voiders on the arms," Gwen says as she taps said voiders.

Merlin murmurs, "Mm-hmm," while nodding.

"The hauberk goes over your chest."

"The chest. The arms. The chest." Merlin mutters tapping the parts of the armour on the different parts of his body. He looks over to Amelia as if asking if he is doing okay. She nods and smiles in approval.

Gwen then holds out the helmet to Merlin, "I guess you know what to do with the helmet." She says amused.

"Erm, yeah. Yeah, that was the only bit I'd figured out." Merlin answers letting out a small laugh. Gwen giggles in response. Aww. Amelia remembers preferring these two as friends in the show but she cannot deny how adorably awkward both of them are in the first season.

Merlin puts the helmet on before turning to Gwen and Amelia, "How come Gwen is so much better than me?"

"I'm the Blacksmith's daughter. I know pretty much everything there is to know about armour, which is actually kind of sad." Gwen murmurs sadly.