Chapter 42: The Sorcerer's Shadow

Amelia's POV

A new tournament is happening at Camelot, one that happens once every ten years. The Knight's code means nothing at the upcoming tournament, which is open to all comers and worth a hundred coins. Camelot's legendary tournament has only one rule – there are no rules. Naturally, Amelia's mind worries that the next person trying to kill Arthur will be among those coming.

Amelia walks among the people in the Lower Town, observing the increased activity and happily greets those that have either come to participate or spectate. She feels nervous and excited. The last time this tournament happened, Amelia had only been 13 and it had not been long before she lost her adoptive parents, Helen and George. Unfortunately, her memories of them and the time surrounding the tournament aren't as clear as they probably once were due to the head injury she had suffered because of Nimueh.

Amelia is contemplating these thoughts, not realising she no longer is aware of her surroundings and accidentally collides with a young boy carrying a shield, sword and a bag of maybe his belongings.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Amelia quickly apologises.

The boy stares at her with wide eyes as he takes in her appearance and bows his head as he replies, "I should be sorry, My Lady, I wasn't looking at what was in front of me."

Amelia winces at his attitude. This always seems to happen, people from outside of Camelot's City walls always act this way, like she's some other being and fearful of her wrath.

"It's alright." Amelia says softly, smiling gently. This causes the boy to look up in surprise. "Where were you heading?"

"I was looking for an Inn, My Lady." He replies respectfully but actually looks at her this time as he speaks.

Amelia glances behind and her eyes land on the Rising Sun Inn. "There's one there but it's only taking participators."

The boy looks affronted at her comment and Amelia immediately knows she has said the wrong thing. "I am a participator."

Amelia feels embarrassed and apologises.

"It's fine." He mutters and moves to walk away. "Thank you for the directions."

Amelia observes how small in stature he is in concern, wondering why he was entering this sort of tournament. "What's your name?" She asks, stopping him.

"Gilli, My Lady."

"Hello, Gilli, I'm the Lady Amelia, one of the King's wards." She smiles warmly and offers a hand for him to shake. "Good luck." He looks at her in surprise but shakes her hand anyway.

As they do this, Amelia notices his ring, particularly the markings. She opens her mouth to comment but Gilli is already pulling his hand away, having noticed her looking, and walks to the Inn.

——

Merlin and Anne are serving them at dinner in the Council Chambers.

"Remind us how many times you've won this tournament, Uther." Morgana asks. She sits on Uther's left with Amelia next to her and Arthur sitting opposite.

"Three."

"That's a lot to live up to, Arthur." Amelia remarks with a teasing smile.

Arthur disappointingly doesn't rise to the challenge and simply replies, "Indeed."

"I remember your last victory. You were a master in the arena." Morgana compliments. "It's such a shame we won't see you compete again."

"Who says you won't?"