Chapter 34: Goblin's Gold

Amelia's POV

Amelia and Anne are walking to the former's Chambers when they hear smashing and clanging from inside the room.

They rush in to find Merlin hurriedly putting Amelia's jewellery back in the box.

Amelia clears her throat. Merlin spins around and Amelia tries not to laugh at how it looks like Merlin is holding one of her necklaces up to himself.

"I'm really not sure it suits you, Merlin." Anne giggles.

"Um, I can explain." Merlin desperately replies before realising he's practically wearing one of Amelia's bracelets.

"Please do," Amelia says with a raised eyebrow.

Merlin opens his mouth to reply when there's loud clanging and smashing in the distance. Amelia and Anne spin around.

"Merlin... what's going on?" Amelia demands to know. She then notices her bracelet from Morgause is not sitting on her dressing table like it had been earlier. "And where's my healing bracelet gone?"

Merlin sighs. "We need to talk to Gaius."

——

Merlin confessed that he was in the Library and had unintentionally released a creature that had been causing havoc all over the Castle.

Amelia, Anne, Merlin and Gaius flip through a book in Gaius' Chambers.

The correct page appears and Merlin points. "That's it."

"Seems you've unleashed a Goblin," Gaius explains, his expression serious.

Amelia winces. "I know that face. That's not good, is it?"

"Goblins are the most mischievous of creatures. Mischievous and dangerous." Gaius replies.

Merlin looks at him disbelieving. "Didn't seem dangerous."

"Believe me, Goblins will stop at nothing to get their hands on the one thing they value above all others: gold," Gaius responds.

Arthur enters. "You're needed, Gaius, for a matter of great urgency and extreme delicacy." Amelia wonders what this could mean.

"What is it?" Gaius asks.

"It's my father," Arthur admits. Now, this Amelia needs to see.

——

The four of them are following Arthur down the corridor when he abruptly stops just outside his father's Chambers and turns to them.

"I should warn you, if you value your lives, do not even think about laughing," Arthur warns them. Amelia immediately smiles.

"Stop it." Arthur snaps at her. Amelia rolls her eyes.

They enter the room with Arthur leading. Amelia notes that she can't see anyone.

"Father?" Arthur calls.

"I'm behind the screen," Uther replies. He doesn't sound pleased.

Arthur gestures for them to walk forward. Amelia, Anne, Gaius and Merlin find bald Uther hunched down in a chair behind a changing screen with his arms crossed like a grumpy child. Amelia slaps her hand over her mouth to stop any laughing.

——

"Only an enchantment could cause Uther to lose his hair like that," Gaius says as they walk away from the Chambers. "I've no doubt the Goblin is to blame. We must catch it before it does any real damage."