Chapter 29: The Witch's Quickening

Amelia's POV

One night Amelia is awoken by warning bells and it is only the next morning that she actually finds out why the warning bells were sounding.

Amelia sits in Morgana's Chambers when said woman suspiciously, well to Amelia anyway, sends Anne and Gwen out of the room.

"Morgana?" Amelia questions.

Morgana chews her lip and looks anxiously towards the door as if worried about being overheard. "I need your help. We need your help."

"We?"

"Last night Mordred came to visit me." Morgana confesses.

"Mordred?!" Amelia exclaims before realising that she needs to quieten in case someone passes the door and overhears. "Is that why the warning bells sounded?"

Morgana nods. "But don't worry he wasn't caught despite Arthur barging in my Chambers."

Amelia sighs in relief. Her own attachment to the boy is still there and she can't bear the thought of something happening to him. "Why was he here? How did he get in?" She asks.

"A man called Alvarr helped him," Morgana explains.

Amelia frowns, she doesn't recall that name. "Alvarr?"

"Yes. He's been looking after Mordred, protecting him from Uther."

"That's good."

"Yes, but you see he has also been hunted by Uther as well," Morgana tells her.

"He has magic?" Amelia feels sorry for the man as he has likely been through a lot of trauma as a child.

"He wishes to walk free and without fear," Morgana explains. Amelia nods, understanding the feeling, "and many are joining but he needs our help." Amelia is unsure. "Come on Amelia! Do you not want to live without fear?"

"Of course, I do!" Amelia insists.

"So, you will help?"

"I don't—"

"Please Amelia. Do it for me, for Mordred." Morgana pleads.

Amelia feels her resolve faltering. "But what is it that we need to do?"

"There's a Crystal that is locked within the Vaults," Morgana tells her.

"Let me guess, it's magical," Amelia concludes.

"It is and they can't get it themselves so we need to."

Amelia looks at her sister, though said sister is unaware of their shared mother, in alarm. "What if we're caught?"

"No one will suspect us! We are the King's wards." Morgana reassures. "Come on Amelia we are their last hope."

"We need the keys." Amelia points out.

"Yes, Arthur's Chambers," Morgana notes.

"I'll do it." Amelia declares. She feels that she should do this for her sister.

"You will?" Morgana looks at her with wide hopeful eyes and a beaming smile. Honestly, how can Amelia say no to that face?