Chapter 52: Lamia

Amelia's POV

Gwen arrives with an old friend of hers, Mary Howden, who's travelled from Longstead to Camelot and had requested an audience with the King.

Arthur agrees to it and they gather in his Chambers. Amelia sits across from where Mary and Gwen sit, the latter holding the former's hand.

Arthur had been insistent that Amelia join them, likely trying to make up for his behaviour with what happened with Gaius though he had been happy to do anything for Amelia since she announced her engagement to Percival. Some would argue that he's happy for them, but Amelia suspects he is in this perceived notion that he might lose her though Amelia doesn't know how that would happen.

"Guinevere informs us that you live in Longstead in the Fiore Mountains, is that right?" Arthur asks as he paces around the table, coming around to stand at the end of the table and leans on the back of a chair.

"That's right, sire." Mary replies. "Our Village, we're blighted by a sickness. Three good men it has taken now. We have no Physician, sire. It is beyond our understanding."

"I see."

"Forgive me. I have no right to bring such a small matter before the King." Mary says apologetically.

Amelia quickly shakes her head. "You have every right."

Arthur sits. "It's my responsibility to protect the people of this Kingdom, whoever they may be." He adds.

"You'll help us?" Mary asks.

"We'll do whatever we can." Amelia reassures her.

Mary looks hopefully at Gwen and touches her hand.

——

Amelia and Arthur go to Gaius who's in his Chambers with Merlin. Merlin cares for a sick patient lying in one of the beds while Gaius speaks with Arthur and Amelia.

"This is the fourth case of sweating sickness I've seen today." Gaius says after they tell him the situation. "In normal circumstances, I'd be happy to travel to this Village to investigate, but—"

"Of course. We understand." Amelia interrupts.

"Might I make a suggestion? Why not send Merlin in my place?" Gaius says.

Merlin looks at Gaius in surprise. To be honest, that's not a bad idea.

"Merlin?" Arthur questions, sounding dubious. Amelia whacks his arm.

"He has a knowledge of the healing arts. If the diagnosis is straightforward, he can prescribe a remedy, I'm sure." Gaius argues.

"And what if it isn't?"

"Arthur, have more faith in him." Amelia reprimands. "If he can't treat them, he can easily bring his findings to Gaius."

"'Findings'? Merlin can't find his own backside most of the time." Arthur scoffs. Merlin's not pleased by the comment and neither is Amelia who gives Arthur a pointed look.

"I think he's capable of much more than you imagine, sire." Gaius insists.

Arthur actually thinks for a moment before turning to Gaius. "Do you really think he'll be able to... handle the responsibility?"

"Yes, sire. I do."

——

Amelia and Anne watch on as Merlin anxiously reads a book on medicine as Gaius potters around.

"Honestly Merlin, you're making me anxious, and I know you'll be fine." Amelia remarks.

"Do you really think I can do this?" Merlin questions them.