18 | Home To Mama

Chapter 18 : Home To Mama

Friday arrived and I felt so much relief. This week had truly been the longest week in history and I was over it.

I woke up, did my usual routine, threw on a pair of red scrubs with a pair of black Nike sneakers and headed out the door.

I approached work and had been asked to do some charts for next week. I instantly accepted and jumped at the opportunity to do some desk work. I sat there with my headphones in and printed different documents to attach to patients' charts.

As I sat there connected to my Bluetooth headphones I began to get an incoming call. I pulled my phone out and seen that it was my mother. She was all I had growing up but over the years we had become somewhat estranged. I think knowing I left her for a man who ended up abusing me had broken her heart.

She hung up before I could answer but sent me a text that read,

"Hey baby girl. I miss you and love you. Please consider coming out here this weekend I have some important things to talk to you about and want you to meet someone. You can bring your boyfriend too, I'd like to meet him. Mom xoxo".

I sat there re-reading her message about 10 times before I finally replied to her.

"I'll pack a bag and be there tonight by 9, love you too."

I wondered for a minute how she had known about Omar. I certainly hadn't told her nor had I been very public or vocal about him. Then that's when it hit me, I had told Melody about Omar when I returned from the weekend trip where she had watched Nala. Family could never hold water.

I finished with the charts in between calling back some patients and before I knew it I was clocking out heading to my apartment.

I asked Omar to call me whenever he got a chance, ironically he called as soon as I walked in the door.

"So what would you say if I asked you to come with me for the weekend to my mom's house?," I asked, nervously.

"I'd be honored and nervous as fuck," he laughed.

I could just imagine that big smile with those dimples showing through the phone.

I asked him to pack a bag and meet me at my car by no later than 7pm. My mom lived about an hour and a half away from me so I wanted to be there before 9. 

This time I was bringing Nala with me, I knew my mom wouldn't mind and probably missed her as well.

I packed a duffel bag with a few outfits, a swimsuit, and a few things for Nala. I sat on the couch scrolling through my text threads and decided to send a group message to the girls'.

"I'll be at my mom's this weekend. I know we are all on pretty weird terms but I love you guys and would love to meet up for lunch on Sunday when I return if possible."

They each "liked" the message individually so I hoped that was a good sign, if not I would be finding out soon enough.

Around 7pm I grabbed my bag, got ahold of Nala's leash and walked to the car. I placed her in the backseat with my bags, cracked the window for her and waited for Omar on the hood of my car. A few moments later he arrived with one of the biggest grins on his face that I'd ever seen.