39 | The Impossible

Chapter 39 : The Impossible

Thursday morning arrived with heavy gusts of wind and substantial amounts of rain. The rain poured outside and suddenly hail droplets began hitting against my bedroom window.

I rubbed my eyes deeply before stretching and stepping out of bed. The plush soft carpet comforted my feet as I made my way to the bathroom.

After taking Nala out as briefly as possible I returned  to my living room and turned on the local news.

"We should expect to see very high winds with gusts up to 50mph throughout today and rising tomorrow to an expected 60-70mph. There is a storm surge possibility as well, we recommend avoiding outside unless emergent and taking shelter as best as possible," explained a weatherman.

I sighed. I would have about 3-4 days off work and unfortunately I would probably be in the middle of a shit storm during all of them, literally.

Omar texted me this morning before I woke up and had advised me that he would be getting to my place to stay for the next few days around 6pm this evening. This meant that I needed to stock up my apartment so I decided I'd go to the nearest Walmart.

I pulled on a pair of faded old jeans, a black baggy t-shirt and stepped into some never worn rain boots that were accumulating dust in the back of my closet.
I pulled my hair up into a messy bun, grabbed my wallet and umbrella and headed out the door.

When I arrived at the closest Walmart to my house it was an absolute circus. The news had caused everyone to panic like they did every year so people were pushing around huge shopping carts filled with toilet paper, food and water.

I rolled my eyes at the chaos unfolding around me.

As I entered the doors I closed my umbrella down and placed it inside a cart. I walked down each aisle trying to determine where some of the most important items I needed were.

After about 35 minutes of scrolling around the store I finally found everything I was looking for, for the most part. I had gotten snacks, canned goods, toiletries, flashlights, batteries, board games, cards and other items I thought we needed to survive the weekend.

When I made my way to the register I ended up waiting an additional 15 minutes just for an available cashier. As I waited I pulled out my phone and realized I had a missed call from Ashley. I decided to ring her back.

"Hey babe you called?," I asked.

"Yes girl I need your help with something," she replied. She sniffled.

"What's wrong, what do you need?," I questioned worriedly.

"I need you to come to my house and take a pregnancy test with me," she replied.

I stood in the store line frozen. Suddenly I no longer heard any other voices around me even though many stood right behind me.

"Oh my gosh Ash, you are?"

"I hope not but I'm late, I'm so stressed out. I just don't want to take one alone."

"Well of course, I can be to you in about an hour."

"Okay, thank you. See you in a bit," she mumbled, disconnecting the line.