Chapter 1: Worse

Ivy's POV

12 Years Ago:

"I love you," I say as I tighten my small arms around my mom's legs.

"I love you too, honey."

"What about me?" my dad asks her. His jet black hair stands up on the front with his tall body reaching over me like a giant. His face is a little longer than my mom's and mine, and his skin tone is a few shades darker as well.

"Please don't start kissing," I make a disgusted face, knowing all too well that it'll most likely happen.

"What? You mean like this?" She kisses him purposely with too much passion that I really did not need at my young age.

I turn my head around and make my black hair cover the picture that will probably scar me forever.

"We're done," my mom laughs, permitting me to turn back around.

I see both of them smiling while holding each other.

"Be safe, okay," she warns my dad.

We're both going to visit my dad's sister, and my mom will come later since she has to work. I think it's because she doesn't like her, but who knows?

I know. She hates her, but you didn't hear that from me.

"I will." He kisses her again, but thankfully, it's only a quick peck.

"Ready Livy?" my dad asks, using my nickname which came from my middle name Olivia.

I nod excitedly because we're going on a road trip and I love those. It's fun to listen to music, stare out the window, and eat a bunch of snacks.

My dad has one rule though.

Whenever we go on a road trip, I can get as many snacks as I want. It's my one pass and I use it to my max ability.

"But first." My dad holds up his finger as I'm skipping towards the car.

I stop in my tracks and watch him pull something out of his jacket.

A long box that looks super soft and fancy is shown, and I smile blankly at it because I don't know what's inside.

He pulls the lid open, and the most beautiful rose gold necklace with a leaf is shown, sparkling in my eyes. There's a small silver jewel in the middle, and the necklace is beaded all around with tiny little circles.

"Happy birthday sweetie," he gleams as he bends down on one knee to reach my height.

"Really?" I ask to be sure he meant me and not someone else behind me.

He laughs as he takes it out of the box and softly turns me around to put it around my neck. I help by moving my hair to my front and feel him lock it on the back.

I turn back around and see my mom smiling down at me like my dad while I gratefully grin back.

"I gave birth to you so that's your present from me," my mom gives her every year's present which I guess I can't complain about.

"Thank you." I hug my dad tightly around his neck because I've always wanted a pretty necklace like this one.

"You see that leaf?" He pulls away and holds it. "That's an Ivy," he informs me, and now I love it even more.

"Thank you," I squeal again as I lean back in for the hug.

"What about the birth giver?" my mom questions with her arms out.