Chapter 11: Footprint

Ivy's POV

We get to the undercover office in New York like the one Kai has back home.

This one felt like we were going inside tunnels, but then when we entered, it felt like we were in a regular cooperate building. Only they're solving murders, and cooperate people are probably the ones planning those.

I've been observing everything since I don't want to just butt in on such an important case.

Kai holds himself up very well when talking to the other team. He's respectful, yet he's also instructive and demanding. He stands his ground on things he believes in, but if he does notice that there's something off about his statement, he'll come to an agreement and actually acknowledge that he made a mistake.

Agent Kennedy, I believe, is the computer genius. She's been typing on that thing since we got here.

Luke and Theo seem to be putting their all into the case with Kai so they must go out on the field, although, I believe Agent Kennedy does too. She has the holster on her side to prove my guess. Agent Rivers sadly seems to be the smart one. Maybe in the field though, I don't know what happened in the common sense department in his head. Sorry, autocorrect, part of his *dome.

"Okay, let's go check out the most recent crime scene and we'll see if we can figure out anything from there. Luke, you're with me. Theo and Rivers, stay back here and try to find any links between all the men. If they happen to cross paths, immediately let me know. Agent Kennedy, look through any security footage you can find and cross-reference anyone with our description of the individual," Kai commands towards all of them.

They all nod instantly to exactly what Kai said, following his instructions with no hesitation.

Kai comes beside me as I'm sitting on the couch to get his files.

"Where do I go?" I question, ready to do whatever.

"You can stay here and text me if Agent Rivers starts saying anything stupid again."

"Kai? We talked about this. I didn't just come here to sit on the couch like some lazy bitch. Take me with you. I want to see how you guys find things out by looking at the crime scene," I insist.

"You don't have a weapon, and if the unsub thinks to revisit, I'd rather not have you near him."

"You called me your intern and now you're not letting me do intern shit."

He doesn't seem to be giving in.

"Come on! I'll have you and Luke! Plus, I can defend myself."

"From a serial killer?"

"We'll find out." I shrug.

He sighs at me, his lips in a thin line while observing my pleading smile.

"Fine. But when I say get in the car-."

"I'll argue and say why," I respond immediately.

He glares at me.

What? Did he want me to lie? Like I just listen to what people tell me to do. There's going to be at least a little arguing. Maybe a sarcastic comment or two.

Then I realize that he's probably not going to let me go if I'm honest.

"And then I'll get in the car." I nod.

Maybe.

"Let's go." He tilts his head toward the door.

I stand up instantly, ready.